Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Second Career- Cultural Anthropology

dahliasdahlias Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I am currently 31 years old and interested in a career in ethnographic research. I obtained a BA in English from UW-Madison in 2001 which makes me choke to think it was almost a decade ago now! Afterwards I climbed the ranks thru not-for-profit theatre and arts administration with listener services at NPR and audience services for a Chicago theatre company.

Does anybody have some practical next steps advice?
I currently reside in California but am returning to Chicago in a couple of months.
I'm envisioning taking basic Anthro courses as a Special Student or something through Continuing Education, perhaps getting some type of employ as a Research Assistant if possible, eventually, hopefully! graduate school...

Crazy? Maybe but I didn't know anything about not-for-profit theatre when I took that route and spent 6 great years with the stage. Time for the next!
Post edited by dahlias on

Replies to: Second Career- Cultural Anthropology

• BIGeastBEASTBIGeastBEAST - Posts: 1,545 Senior Member
    Cultural Anthropology isn't a good first career, let alone a second.

Either way, it would be a big bump with few transferable skills, but hey - I've seen more wierd scenarios.
This discussion has been closed.