Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What is the outlook for investment banking & finance industry?

2»

Replies to: What is the outlook for investment banking & finance industry?

  • supsup Registered User Posts: 1,322 Senior Member
    hahah man the amount of misinformation on this forum...
  • avatarmageavatarmage Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Um wars your information then "sup"? I got mine from someone actually working in the field.
  • CollectivSynergyCollectivSynergy Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone as poorly informed yet self-confident like Duecey...
  • DueceyDuecey Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    I find it amusing that people who will never see >500k/yr, dismiss it as chump change. Even better if they (likely still in college) use decade-old salary stats and Liar's Poker as points of reference.

    To answer the original question: the tide is going out on Wall Street. The job-hemorrhaging and smaller analyst classes should be wake up calls. As should the announcement that HBS/top b-schools, themselves luddite institutions, started rejecting top finance applicants this year.

    For fresh-minted undergrads in early 2000's, GS analyst positions were the pinnacle for compensation. Top dogs are now tech firms in Silicon Valley. Compare the number of young millionaires in tech vs finance. It's not even close any more. Add pre-IPO stock or startup buyouts for a tech entrepreneur, and the lifetime earnings make Wall St payouts look small.

    Pretty much every sign points to fewer jobs and an overall smaller pie on Wall Street. And it's very likely that smaller pie will be consolidated into the hands of fewer people. Henry Paulson spoke a great truth: 15% of bankers and traders are responsible for 80% of the profits. In ten years, that 15% will likely still have jobs. The other 85% will be replaced by computers and server racks.
  • jgersonjgerson Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    prospects are horrible in the short term. mid term and long term who know? interesting dynamic though is happening this year - it seems that amidst all the cuts - UBS laid off 30k, more to come from other banks, on campus recruiting is actually up. also, while MD bnouses are down big this year, analyst comp isnt going to get as hurt.
  • bonnieforbezbonnieforbez Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    can any one suggest me what Finance Investment Company can i invest money
  • isan2018isan2018 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi everyone,

    This is pretty irrelevant, and i apologize in advance for posting about this...
    I am applying for IBanking internships right now, and I was told that to prep for technical questions in the interview process I should read the M&I Investment Banking Interview Guide, and the Vault Investment Banking Guide. I'm having a hard time finding these resources. Does anyone have a link or access to these pdfs?

    Thank you!
  • morrismmmorrismm Registered User Posts: 3,563 Senior Member
    If you cannot figure that out, you're probably looking in the wrong field. And to ask in a five year old thread with one entry two years ago confirms what I said. You need to be much better at getting answeres and figuring things out to get into ibanking.
This discussion has been closed.