Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ivy League students- how do YOU think you got in?

1235»

Replies to: Ivy League students- how do YOU think you got in?

• ineedhelp5ineedhelp5 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Not Ivy League student, but, as far as I know, part of the decisions is where you come from (kind of like extreme circumstances). If you are from an obscure state, like Alaska or Wyoming, it's easier to get accepted than a more competitive and close state like the East Coast states. If you live in a public city school, yet had high achievement, it's far more impressive than a suburban student doing well because cities usually have worse education systems and difficult circumstances.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    "Honestly, I'm not exactly sure why I got in."

lol, without a doubt, the most honest and lucid answer on this thread! Your humility will serve you well.
  • starwars1starwars1 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    @ShanFerg3 @justliviglife Just happened to be surfing through this thread and noticed your posts. I too get quite annoyed when many people have this prejudice of athletes getting a literal free pass to Ivy admissions. Many people not familiar with Ivy recruitment, do not realize the academic requirements needed to be admitted as an Ivy recruit. Yes there is a band system for sports such as football. And yes, few certain football recruits who are superstar athletes may get in with lower academic index then other sports. However, in majority of the sports, their grades have to be on par with most of the kids getting accepted. My DS just like your DD was and is on the same training and tournament schedule, including all the international events. I am always impressed with his time management skills to juggle his school work, ECs/music, sport. Meanwhile keeping up an all A average despite taking rigorous challenging classes, and maintaining top national ranking in his sport. What also impresses me is that his friends who are also at the same level in his sport, are also extremely smart with excellent academics. His friends have all been recruited and accepted by an Ivy and other academically elite schools.
    People who think of athletes as just some dumb jocks just do not know what it takes to get recruited. I'm not sure how much is just "sour grapes" versus just ignorance. It certainly is not a free ride. All accepted Ivy athletes have proven themselves not only athletically, but also academically.
    Another mistake many people make is that the athletes are taking away admission spots from other non athletes. Every Ivy school set aside about 200 or so recruitment spots, and these have nothing to do with the other non athletic admissions numbers. So people will have to realize that the student athlete from one's school who got into an Ivy didn't rob you of your admission into that school if you are not an athlete.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    "So people will have to realize that the student athlete from one's school who got into an Ivy didn't rob you of your admission into that school if you are not an athlete."

The spots ivy league colleges allocate to athletes are definitely taken from non-athletes or applicants who are athletes but not recruitable. Same with applicants who are requested admission from the development office (Jared Kushner, Malia Obama etc). These colleges don't increase the size of the incoming class to accommodate these 200 or 300 people.
  • ShanFerg3ShanFerg3 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    @theloniusmonk I think the point is that these spots are only going to and were always only going to students in these designated areas. So the general pool are only competing for openings minus these 200-300 students.
1235»