Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Jazz musicians getting into Ivy League

Replies to: Jazz musicians getting into Ivy League

• mrtadashi1mrtadashi1 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm a jazz musician myself, I play drums and bass. I haven't won any national awards, but my school sponsored my jazz band for an Africa Tour...we had 16 shows and a couple of jam sessions at colleges in Cape Town. I also have performed with grammy award and nominated winners..I got invited to a National jazz conference, and performed at Jazz at Lincoln Center.

I have a 3.6/4.0 GPA, 34 on ACT, 720 Math level 2, and 1490/1520 PSAT scores..do I have a chance?
  • piranhavatorpiranhavator Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    @mrtadashi1 we seem to be in a similar situation. I was deferred from Harvard but who knows about the other ivys. I guess anything is possible; I think our acceptances depend on the needs of the institutions to which we are applying. For example, if Yale wanted to expand their jazz program, perhaps they would let in several jazz musicians.
  • classclown22classclown22 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited January 7
    This is such a strangely accurate correlation! Last year we had one senior in the jazz band and he went to Harvard. The year before we had one that went to Notre Dame. This year we have two, including myself, and one got into Princeton, the other to Dartmouth. 3/4ths of jazz band seniors in my tenure have gone to the Ivy league, that's crazy. I think that Jazz band is one of the best ECs actually because it shows a very artistic side-- the jazz part-- and a dedicated hard worker side-- the band part.
  • SminitriousSminitrious Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    Too bad my school didn't have a jazz band until this year. :((
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 687 Member
    I don't think it's jazz specifically. I think kids that have stuck and practiced music long enough to get to an advanced level stand out. I know advanced music students who've gotten into highly competitive schools with slightly lower stats. My teens go to a very large music school in a major metro. Plenty of strong jazz kids have a classical background as well.
  • SuzuyaSuzuya Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    In my honest opinion, I think there's something to do with confirmation bias. Also, outliers do not define the norm.

Just because you know one person who has gotten in purely for Jazz, does not mean that this is a common theme among all Jazz musicians applying to college.

Not trying to sound overly dramatic about anything but I think this is just a funny thread and I don't think the topic should be taken THAT seriously. @Sminitrious I hope you aren't too upset about it HAHA!
    @Suzuya yes, I am sure confirmation bias plays a role. In fact, I forgot about one kid from my school who was a solid jazz guitarist and an amazing gymnast and dancer. He had a 4.6W/4.0UW GPA, a 34 ACT, and his dad is a famous actor who went to Harvard. He is also gay and Pakistani which probably should’ve helped. Yet he got denied from Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and all of the good UCs. He ended up paying full tuition at NYU. So either he wrote really sh*tty essays or got terrible luck (which proves your point).
    @Suzuya but at the same time, I have many more examples of jazz musicians getting good luck rather than bad luck if they have the grades and talent.
    Well, got into my first ivy today via likely letter so maybe it’s working lol
  • ccccguidegccccguideg Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    My 2 kids have been in a number of the admitted student groups (FB and groupme) the past few classes but there have been a few schools with an unusually high number of kids who expressed interest in jazz or played jazz. By far the jazziest though was Columbia and least jazzy UChicago.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 9,860 Senior Member
    How do you all know other student's stats and grades so well?
  • BB1224BB1224 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    How is Yale’s jazz program? I play the sax, so on another note what are some awards and/or good bands to audition for to showcase your talent? I live in Albany, NY. Did you talk to jazz professors ahead of your admission at all? What are your scores like?
  • BB1224BB1224 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @piper787 How exactly did you showcase your talent? What awards/competitions or competitive bands where you in? Did you talk to the Jazz professors about your admission ahead of time?
  • WhatAmIGonnaDoWhatAmIGonnaDo Registered User Posts: 0 New Member
    @ccccguideg: "By far the jazziest though was Columbia and least jazzy UChicago" Can you elaborate a little?
  • WhatAmIGonnaDoWhatAmIGonnaDo Registered User Posts: 0 New Member
    @ccccguideg: "By far the jazziest though was Columbia and least jazzy UChicago" Can you elaborate a little?