right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Learn from Laura Reisert Kalinkewicz from RaiseMe and Charlie Javice from Frank how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes. Join us TODAY at 5pm ET. Register and ask your question NOW.

Jazz musicians getting into Ivy League

2»

Replies to: Jazz musicians getting into Ivy League

• SuzuyaSuzuya 30 replies2 threads Junior Member
    In my honest opinion, I think there's something to do with confirmation bias. Also, outliers do not define the norm.

Just because you know one person who has gotten in purely for Jazz, does not mean that this is a common theme among all Jazz musicians applying to college.

Not trying to sound overly dramatic about anything but I think this is just a funny thread and I don't think the topic should be taken THAT seriously. @Sminitrious I hope you aren't too upset about it HAHA!
    · Reply · Share
  • piranhavatorpiranhavator 195 replies38 threads Junior Member
    @Suzuya yes, I am sure confirmation bias plays a role. In fact, I forgot about one kid from my school who was a solid jazz guitarist and an amazing gymnast and dancer. He had a 4.6W/4.0UW GPA, a 34 ACT, and his dad is a famous actor who went to Harvard. He is also gay and Pakistani which probably should’ve helped. Yet he got denied from Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and all of the good UCs. He ended up paying full tuition at NYU. So either he wrote really sh*tty essays or got terrible luck (which proves your point).
    · Reply · Share
    @Suzuya but at the same time, I have many more examples of jazz musicians getting good luck rather than bad luck if they have the grades and talent.
    · Reply · Share
    Well, got into my first ivy today via likely letter so maybe it’s working lol
    · Reply · Share
  • ccccguidegccccguideg 69 replies1 threads Junior Member
    My 2 kids have been in a number of the admitted student groups (FB and groupme) the past few classes but there have been a few schools with an unusually high number of kids who expressed interest in jazz or played jazz. By far the jazziest though was Columbia and least jazzy UChicago.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11347 replies80 threads Senior Member
    How do you all know other student's stats and grades so well?
    · Reply · Share
  • BB1224BB1224 4 replies3 threads New Member
    How is Yale’s jazz program? I play the sax, so on another note what are some awards and/or good bands to audition for to showcase your talent? I live in Albany, NY. Did you talk to jazz professors ahead of your admission at all? What are your scores like?
    · Reply · Share
  • BB1224BB1224 4 replies3 threads New Member
    @piper787 How exactly did you showcase your talent? What awards/competitions or competitive bands where you in? Did you talk to the Jazz professors about your admission ahead of time?
    · Reply · Share
  • WhatAmIGonnaDoWhatAmIGonnaDo 3 replies0 threads New Member
    @ccccguideg: "By far the jazziest though was Columbia and least jazzy UChicago" Can you elaborate a little?
    · Reply · Share
  • WhatAmIGonnaDoWhatAmIGonnaDo 3 replies0 threads New Member
    @ccccguideg: "By far the jazziest though was Columbia and least jazzy UChicago" Can you elaborate a little?
    · Reply · Share
  • bytemaker1234bytemaker1234 2 replies0 threads New Member
    · Reply · Share
  • cloxaaucloxaau 1 replies0 threads New Member
    I know this is really old; College Confidential doesn't seem to let me PM people. Could I talk to you about the Harvard Berklee program, and how you applied and all that? I'm in the process now and I'd love some input, as not much info about it exists on the web.
    · Reply · Share
    @cloxaau I applied to the Harvard Berklee program and was ultimately rejected (from Harvard with a 4.0 uw GPA, 35 ACT, and national awards for jazz piano). As you probably know, it’s exteremly tough to get into and I still don’t know the exact reason why I was rejected. But you basically have to get into both schools independently and if you do, you’ll likely be accepted into the program.

To be honest, the program has somewhat of a bad rep because of the distance between Berklee and Harvard which is a long bus ride. But if you’re interested in a dual degree, I would recommend looking at Northwestern. It’s easier to get into and has a better structured program than Harvard/Berklee. I ultimately couldn’t go as I couldn’t afford the 75k a year price tag (I’m currently at USC where the dual degree is super tough to pull off).

Let me know if you have any questions. I know a good deal about the program.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35303 replies399 threads Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Nvm
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11347 replies80 threads Senior Member
    The bus ride from Harvard to Berklee is not that long, and the bus certainly hasn't affected the reputation of the program. In fact, NEC is a little further than Berklee and that double degree program has a great reputation.

The Harvard=Berklee program is relatively new, of course. Berklee has recently merged with Boston Conservatory. It certainly is a school on the move.

Harvard has made some changes to its music curriculum to be more inclusive so if you get in, you may not even need a double degree program.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity