Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Jazz musicians getting into Ivy League

13»

Replies to: Jazz musicians getting into Ivy League

• bytemaker1234bytemaker1234 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    @ccccguideg: "By far the jazziest though was Columbia and least jazzy UChicago" Can you elaborate a little?
  • cloxaaucloxaau Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I know this is really old; College Confidential doesn't seem to let me PM people. Could I talk to you about the Harvard Berklee program, and how you applied and all that? I'm in the process now and I'd love some input, as not much info about it exists on the web.
  • piranhavatorpiranhavator Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    @cloxaau I applied to the Harvard Berklee program and was ultimately rejected (from Harvard with a 4.0 uw GPA, 35 ACT, and national awards for jazz piano). As you probably know, it’s exteremly tough to get into and I still don’t know the exact reason why I was rejected. But you basically have to get into both schools independently and if you do, you’ll likely be accepted into the program.

To be honest, the program has somewhat of a bad rep because of the distance between Berklee and Harvard which is a long bus ride. But if you’re interested in a dual degree, I would recommend looking at Northwestern. It’s easier to get into and has a better structured program than Harvard/Berklee. I ultimately couldn’t go as I couldn’t afford the 75k a year price tag (I’m currently at USC where the dual degree is super tough to pull off).

Let me know if you have any questions. I know a good deal about the program.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,002 Senior Member
    edited October 22
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 9,860 Senior Member
    The bus ride from Harvard to Berklee is not that long, and the bus certainly hasn't affected the reputation of the program. In fact, NEC is a little further than Berklee and that double degree program has a great reputation.

The Harvard=Berklee program is relatively new, of course. Berklee has recently merged with Boston Conservatory. It certainly is a school on the move.

Harvard has made some changes to its music curriculum to be more inclusive so if you get in, you may not even need a double degree program.
13»