Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Summer Melt

CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 630 Member
edited May 23 in Ivy League
What's the biggest factor behind summer melt? Finances? Multiple deposits? Extended waitlists? Gap year? Buyer's remorse? Impulsive prestige based decisions?

Replies to: Summer Melt

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,536 Senior Member
    I think getting off wait lists at other schools is one of the causes. People aren't supposed to double deposit after May 1st and students who do could lose their spots at both colleges, so I hope people aren't doing that. But students can accept a spot they're accepted off the wait list and withdraw from the other school. Finances may be a factor too. There seem to be people who think the money will work out "somehow," but who don't have the funds when it's time to start writing checks. There are many reasons for withdrawing an acceptance to take a gap year: finances, the desire for prestige, health issues, fit (esp. if major interests change), or not being ready to go away to school. I think there are so many reasons that it would be difficult to pick which is the biggest factor.
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    I inquired as we were at a graduation party and at least two parents said they were reconsidering their commitments to pay full freight at Cornell, kid having to face harsh weather and going under debt for medical schools. They can do that at a state school for free or less and have higher GPA and less competition. We have schools in Texas with rolling admissions so either they double deposited or have communicated with colleges offering rolling admissions.
  • lemonlululemonlulu Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    Flagship state Univ usually have lower GPA and greater competition than Ivies
    edited May 23
    @lemonlulu In Texas, people wanting money and high GPA don't go to UT's flagship campus, they go to local campuses. At any Ivy, they'll be average but here they are big fishes so more oppurtunities without cutthroat competition. For pre-meds ranking of undergrad school has little to no bearing so more pros and less cons.
  • lemonlululemonlulu Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    @CupCakeMuffins I believe local non flagship state U grad has even less chance to go to Flagship state Univ med school.
    edited May 24
    Idk about other states but they have similar chances here in Texas.