Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What can I do in my situation?

curethevoid17curethevoid17 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
edited August 21 in Ivy League
I’m a rising sophomore and I need some good advice on what I can do if I want to want to attend an Ivy League or top school if I live in a rural area with little to no oppurtunities for extracurricular activities. I’m originally from Los Angeles but moved to a small underrepresented town in the NC boondocks during middle school. The high school I attend has clubs that are pretty mediocre with little extracurricular activities available beside the usual common kind(student council, student ambassadors, interact, beta club etc.) the problem I have most is with extracurriculars which I guess include clubs. I really am interested in the medical field but, the town I live in has almost no activities to demonstrate my intrest and pasion for the medical field. I am only currently volunteering at the small hospital in my town and the local hospice which is about it... I guess I am also a URM since my parents are immigrants from Central America, of low income (<40,000) and first gen. Yes I am aware that there are other great schools that are cheaper and
that I have no chance whatsover at these types of schools. I also know most of you will recommend the NCSSM but I live too far away from there, can’t leave home, nor would I really want to go there since I personally think I wouldn’t really have a chance to stand out in college applications, and yes I am aware that these are simply reaches and I already have safety schools and matches for those of you who are reading this and are already typing away on how my chances are almost nonexistent on these schools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I was also thinking of going to my parents’ country of origin to do some medical stuff there but what, I have no idea yet...

Replies to: What can I do in my situation?

• curethevoid17curethevoid17 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    edited August 21
    I also feel the need to mention that my high school isn’t diverse at all with 96% of students being white, 2% being hispanic, and 2% being the few asians and blacks of about 1000 students, according to my school’s data sheet...I’m also one of the only minorities to even sign up for AP classes. If that even matters...
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,347 Senior Member
    Make the most of the opportunities available to you! When you apply to college your guidance counselor will send a school report so schools will judge you in the context of your school.

It's great that you are already volunteering at the hospital and hospice. That IS demonstrating interest. You can also start a club, work with a science teacher on research, tutor, or join one of the "mediocre" academic clubs and really shine and take on a leadership role.

All that said, if your main goal is to attend med school, you want to get out of undergrad with as little debt as possible. Don't discount your instate options, you have some really good ones!

Work hard when the time comes to prepare for your PSAT/SATs. High scores will open doors to merit money on top of need based aid.
  • HMom16HMom16 Registered User Posts: 613 Member
    Also, look into Questbridge https://www.questbridge.org/
  • stannystu22stannystu22 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Extracurricular activities don't have to be clubs or activities sponsored by your school, or even something in your community! Start a blog or other social media platform about something you're passionate about. Self-study courses, topics, or languages that interest you. Submit articles relating to the medical field to local newspapers. All of these can count as extracurricular activities, some of which I used on my own successful applications. There are no hard and fast rules.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,970 Senior Member
    Vol at the hospital and hospice are fine soph ECs for soph year. We don't know what you do there, but see if your responsibilities can increase during junior year. You may also be able to get involved in some local advocacy, with an established group working in the community. That might be health or welfare related. It's an election year; if there's a candidate focused on health issues, you can vol.

But not everything needs to be about health. See what's out there. And do join some hs clubs. Colleges like to see both peer and community involvement. Stu council would be good. As you go along, you might get some proect responsibilities, there's always something going on. At many hs, something like ambassadors is more about helping the admin than your own reach.

Right, it's too early to fret over an Ivy. But your idea to be involved in the right ways will pay off, no matter where.