Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Disadvantage if I don't send SAT II Scores?

2»

Replies to: Disadvantage if I don't send SAT II Scores?

• Jleto18Jleto18 Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    My friend got into Penn ED with no SAT 2s. He was hooked (URM), but he has lower testing and GPA than me. His essays were pretty good (I helped edit them), though. That's the reason why I'm on the ropes about sending my sub-par SAT 2 scores. If he got in without them, then why should I send in scores lower than my other testing? I don't really know exactly what I should send or not.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,647 Senior Member
    Getting into a tippy top does require the whole pic the college wants. When we know someone who succeeded without all scores submitted, there must have been plenty in the rest of the app that triumphed. That's the tricky part, knowing what that "all the rest" is.

I think it helps to realize this "not required" is a new trend, maybe pushed by recognition not all applicants can take enough tests, pick their best. Not all hs have the same savvy. But when aiming high, "not required" doesn't mean, "We won't be looking for it."

The only time it would truly not matter one whit is if a college does not download that section at all. And we can't know which schools those are.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 3,114 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    @latiere Rule of thumb I have seen on this site is that subject tests in the 700-750 range neither hurt you nor harm you, 750+ you don't need to retake (unless Math II for MIT or Caltech or you are applying to other very competitive CS or Engineering programs), and below 700 becomes a gray area which varies according to which subject it is. For example, if you look at the percentiles, your sub 700 Lit score may be better than your Math II (where historically it's not uncommon for 15-20% of test takers to score a perfect 800).

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/sat/pdf/sat-subject-tests-percentile-ranks.pdf

• MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    From what I have understood, some colleges moved SAT II to "recommended" so that kids for whom the cost was a problem could be considered without having done the extra tests, but if you could afford them, the "recommended meant "required". I may be wrong, though, so take this with some crystals of sodium chloride.

On the other hand "will be considered" does mean "not required at all".
2»