Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does getting accepted into more than 1 Ivy increase chances for financial aid?

2»

Replies to: Does getting accepted into more than 1 Ivy increase chances for financial aid?

• cupugucupugu Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    ROTC scholarship is a great option. Harvard students can participate in MIT's Army, Navy or Air Force ROTC programs.
  • Kbat11700Kbat11700 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Agree with the ROTC scholarship recommendations. I'm doing the same thing to pay for my education
  • yaleivyleagueyaleivyleague Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    edited January 13
    I know someone who got into HYPS. H offered the best aid, with P being essentially the same. It is very unlikely that any ivy will offer more aid. What I suggest is for your son to apply to other excellent, T20 schools. It is highly likely that he can get a full ride merit scholarship to Rice, Vanderbilt, WashU or maybe even Duke or JHU. These are excellent top 15 schools as well and may save you 250k, which is well worth it imo. Also he can apply for lots of outside scholarships. Because he got into harvard he pretty much has a chance at any scholarship and he can probably land some of the big 15-20k outside private scholarships which can easily add up.
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    edited January 13
    It looks like your case is like ours, too rich to get freebies and too poor to pay sticker price for four years. Unfortunately, it’s not likely for you to get any aid, at best few thousands in loan. Things won’t come to enough aid from any Ivy nor to Harvard matching others. Unless, you are ready to break bank or get ROTC scholarship , go to service academy or try Duke, Vandy, Rice, USC where you may secure a good merit scholarship.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,020 Senior Member
    How much equity in your house? I'd use that!
2»