right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Rehearsed Acceptance Announcement

RiversiderRiversider 844 replies101 threadsRegistered User Member
edited January 14 in Ivy League
Do you see any similarities in admission result announcements by these schools? To my ears they sound so monotonous and repetitive. Everyone boasting about 42 countries, 52 states, 6.9 races, bottom 20% low income, first generation, generous aid while using limited and identical vocabulary. What’s up with that?

I get it, they can’t mention athletes, legacy, donors, east coast majority, private prep schools, wealthy, connected and others like them but at least don’t make it sound like it’s computer generated using numerous filters to stay as bland as possible. You just killed dreams of extraordinary bright applicants to fulfill admission committee’s agenda, at least show some human authenticity.
edited January 14
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Rehearsed Acceptance Announcement

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8930 replies334 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    They're reporting on the same topic. How unique could the reports be? People seem to be highly interested in many of those data points at application time, so it's not surprising that they report them. What would you like them to say?
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7267 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Top schools are looking for diversity within their classes and that's the PC way to share that information.
    · Reply · Share
  • RiversiderRiversider 844 replies101 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited January 14
    Since athletes, legacy, donors, east coast majority, private prep schools, wealthy, connected and others like them also add to overall diversity, there is no need for artificial fluffing of diversity but yeah perceived political correctness sure is important for a manicured image.
    edited January 14
    · Reply · Share
  • suzy100suzy100 5695 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OP, were you or your kids rejected at an Ivy? I'm trying to figure out where all of this hostility is coming from.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34131 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We don't get to tell them how to report.
    · Reply · Share
  • nomatternomatter 99 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'd question why anyone who is not with the marketing team of X school cares what language they use to best represent their statistics. Much like their applicants, I'm sure they want to be viewed in the best light, and in context of social values that the body of people who they want to reach out to appreciate. I'm of the opinion that all colleges and universities should be able to diversify their student body in any way they see fit, based on what brings the most value to their grounds, as long as they don't exclude anyone based on prohibited forms of discrimination. You may not love their language, but are you truly challenging the truthfulness of it (note: even if you were, it wouldn't matter, the colleges in the Ivy League are all private-- they don't owe anyone a self-prescribed standard of denouncing themselves to make their naysayers feel better)?

More importantly, are "...athletes, legacy, donors, east coast majority, private prep schools, wealthy, connected and others like them..." somehow barred from finding the colleges of their dreams too? Are they less worthy of holistic admissions? Are the Ivy League Schools somehow different from the thousands of other schools, in wanting to bring in the class that best represents the values that they're trying to espouse, and elevates their brand? Athletes bring in dollars, and Ivy League athletes are bright, engaging, and talented-- in other words, they've met the admission requirements. All of the Ivies are on the east coast, so it stands to reason that there would be a larger concentration of east coasters. That's like complaining that an abundance of Texans apply to Rice, or an abundance of Californians apply to Stanford. Private Prep Schools establish mutual relationships with Admissions offices to be feeders (not unlike a *lot* of other public and private universities and other public and private schools). Wealthy people can pay the full cost of attendance, and their children will likely have had more opportunities to build a stellar resume than far less well-off students. Connected students (presumably you mean a legacy connection) ensure that the hefty endowment continues. And then, there's everyone else, who has an equally very low chance of admission. Truthfully, unless you're a pure prestige seeker, looking from the outside in, it's a win-win for everyone.

If only prestige, or self-entitlement are at issue, there are literally hundreds of other "prestigious" universities that don't have single-digit admission rates. Being angry at institutions for protecting their brands seems like a waste of good energy.

You said, "Everyone boasting about 42 countries, 52 states, 6.9 races, bottom 20% low income, first generation, generous aid while using limited and identical vocabulary. What’s up with that?" I say, what's wrong with that? Unless it was really 3 countries, 4 states, 2 races, top 1%, high SEC (only), and 99% legacies that paid full COA, and "generous aid" was a euphemism for $80k/per year in private, high interest loans, there's no issue with 'bait and switch'. Nothing to see here, and nothing to be upset about.
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 816 replies78 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited January 14
    They all do sound alike and standardized but isn’t it understandable for colleges to try to put their best foot forward?

This thread reminded me of MIT’s dean of admissions who had no degrees herself yet she was deciding future of the best and the brightest for 28 years. Don’t put too much faith in abilities and fairness of adcoms, they aren’t perfect nor is the system, just like any other business.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.petersons.com/blog/top-five-admissions-scandals-of-the-last-few-years/amp/

edited January 14
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34131 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited January 14
    Old news, CCM. Old. Let's try not to turn this thread into a witch hunt. This thread has *nothing* to ro with old scandals.
    edited January 14
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 816 replies78 threadsRegistered User Member
    Fair enough. These are standard announcements, not entries for Pulitzer Prize for writing or Nobel Prize for peace.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 911 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    IMHO, this sounds a bit like complaining that every school's reporting of their middle 50% SAT and ACT scores all look like copies of each other.

It's just data. How exactly is it that data "killed dreams of extraordinary bright applicants"? Does "we accepted students from all 50 states" make someone think "oh no, now I have no hope"?
    · Reply · Share
  • websensationwebsensation 2107 replies39 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What would you like them to say? That they have future serial killers, unabombers, billionaires’ kids as well as homeless kids and then gloat about rejecting extraordinarily bright kids like yours, just to make it interesting? Personally, I would love it if they proudly announced they accepted only kids from a single state where the school is located because they found they had enough extraordinarily bright kids in their own state. Or decided to sell 30% of their spots to billionaires around the world so all other students could attend their college for free.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7941 replies158 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 29
    You mention "dream killing"-- I suspect that's the root of the issue.

Those dreams were "killed" with wide open eyes. Every single one of the applicants knew, or certainly should have known, of the ridiculously tiny chances of admission. The statistics are readily available. No one is a slam dunk, no one has chances that could conceivably be considered "good" at admission.

There's no way on earth they could admit a decent percentage of all the incredibly bright and talented kids who want to attend, so they admit a tiny percentage-- all they have room for. And everyone in the country knows it.

So anyone whose dreams were "killed" was doing just that-- dreaming.

When I buy a Powerball ticket I dream of what I would do with my winnings. Then I get up the next morning and face the real world, and go to work.
    edited April 29
    · Reply · Share