Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Asians @ Ivies

2»

Replies to: Asians @ Ivies

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,006 Super Moderator
    edited April 8
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    Do you see even a hint of a problem in Harvard scoring Asian applicants lower than any other group on the purely subjective "personality traits" measure?
    Not the OP's purpose of this thread. If you want to continue the conversation, please do so on the megathread. Other off-topic discussions should be avoided.
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1843141-race-in-college-applications-faq-discussion-12.html#latest
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Still, in his Jr. and Sr. years, he only managed about 5 hours of sleep a day.
    @TiggerDad,

I always find your posts to have much wisdom, but this is the one thing that we would not allow my kids to do. Of the two, my older one never functioned well with less than 6 hours of night per week. My younger one doesn't need much sleep, but he is a bit of a workaholic, and this is the one place where we laid down the law: Lights out by 11:30, and he gets up past 6:30AM.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    edited April 8
    @hebegebe

I cannot disagree with you on this. I was extremely cautious about my son's overall health during his Jr. and Sr. years, and having a good night of sleep each day is a critical factor in maintaining one's health. In spite of the fact that we resorted to "catch up" on his sleep during each of our two hour trips, but I was fully aware that that wasn't an ideal solution. My frustration as a parent stemmed from the fact that my son kept finding new interests without his willingness to drop what's already on his full plate. Even after all the admission dusts were settled, he still felt that he lost out on pursuing his interests to the full. That's the sole reason why he opted to take a gap year to spend every hour at his disposal to pursue whatever the personal interests that remained unfulfilled. Primarily, that was his interest in experimental music-making that was outside of his classical training. Even during his high school years, he'd often go downstairs to the basement past midnight to make music of his own imagination. That was his way of dealing with the stress. After his first semester of college, which went very well, he called one day to thank me for allowing him to take what turned out to be a critical gap year.

In college now, he's getting more sleep than ever.
2»