Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Yale vs. UChicago

Mimi35Mimi35 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I was admitted to the Spanish PhD at both universities. They have many similarities but I just can't decide. What are the factors I should examine?

Replies to: Yale vs. UChicago

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 6,061 Senior Member
    Have you gone to the visit weekends yet?

How much have you looked at the profs & their (specific) research areas? One of them will be your supervisor- somebody that you will work really, really closely with over the next 3-5 years.
  • tdy123tdy123 Registered User Posts: 590 Member
    "What are the factors I should examine?"
    If you're planning on a career in academia, then, in order of importance:
    1) Placement
    2) Placement
    3) Placement.
    4) what @collegemom3717 said
    5) completion rate/time to completion
  • Mimi35Mimi35 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I visited Chicago and I liked it. I talked with the majority of professors. All of them were very nice. I'm interested in a couple of areas. I know that at least two of the professors do their research on them. But I'm still not set on one topic or specific area.
    It was waislisted at Yale and recently admitted. So, I didn't have the chance to visit it.
    @tdy123 Yes, I'm interested in academia. Thank you. I will look into that.
  • tdy123tdy123 Registered User Posts: 590 Member
    edited April 3
    Actually, with Yale, I'd add a special note. There has been considerable turmoil in Yale's Department of Spanish and Portuguese. Google Yale Spanish and Portuguese scandal for details. In 2016 the department made 6 offers to Phd students. None were accepted.

While Placement is a primary concern in academia, if the department is still self destructing, it would be best to look elsewhere. Be a good idea to talk to your undergrad professors and recommenders for their take on the situation. Academia is a small world, with lots of gossip.
  • Mimi35Mimi35 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yes! I've just heard about that. It also happened in 2015, no students accepted the offer.
    Great advice! Thank you, again.
  • ShanFerg3ShanFerg3 Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    What about 2017 and 2018?
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    Although not in foreign language dept., similar sexual misconduct allegations were made by grad students against 3 profs at Dartmouth College (psychology & brain science) . Articles appeared in November, 2017 detailing the allegations.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,266 Senior Member
    what exactly does that have to do with Yale or Chicago, publisher?