Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

EA Ivy vs ED other top 20 colleges

RiversiderRiversider Registered User Posts: 564 Member
edited May 13 in Ivy League
Odds of getting in Ivies without big hooks are really really low on RD, SCEA or EA. There is practically no advantage doing EA or SCEA there. If you can afford to pay or have a low EFC , you are better off using ED to other top 20 colleges. Don’t waste your early card. ED is a big advantage.

Replies to: EA Ivy vs ED other top 20 colleges

• damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 1,007 Senior Member
    Make sure the ED application is to the top choice. Getting accepted ED when you really wanted to go to a different school is a decision that will haunt you.
  • ThinkOnThinkOn Registered User Posts: 525 Member
    edited May 13
    I think it's different for everyone based on the facts and circumstances of their application, desires, etc. If my kids took the above advice, they would be matriculating at very different schools this fall. What is important is to really understand the field and to make an informed decision. It could have so easily gone the other way for my kids who went SCEA...they really struggled with the decision. But in the end, they applied to the schools they really wanted to go to.
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 Registered User Posts: 1,043 Senior Member
    "ED is a big advantage"

I'm not sure ED is the best option to get into some Top 25 college as an unhooked applicant. In fact, for some colleges like Duke you might even be at a disadvantage. Let me explain. Duke's ED rate is 18% and RD is almost 6%, but when you factor in legacy, athlete, URM, development admits, special talent/celebrity, and over all stronger applicant class in ED, that 18% acceptance rate will drop significantly, 850 students (close to 100% yield). For the most part, RD applicants will be unhooked and a slightly less strong applicant pool (2,100 accepted with a yield of 40%).

The only real difference I see if that some ED applicants (800 or 16% deferred) will be deferred to RD but of those pushed to RD, not sure how many get in (45 students (5.7% of 800 or maybe their acceptance rate is even lower than the general RD populaiton?)).

The bottom line is that if you are an "unhooked" Duke applicant applying ED, you might actually be worse than applying RD, which is counter intuitive to many here on CC advocating to apply ED. Hmm...

• Penn95Penn95 Registered User Posts: 2,357 Senior Member
    edited May 13
    @Riversider Well sure ED has higher chances, but the tippy top and most ambitious students would most likely not want to forgo a chance at HYPSM through SCEA/REA in favor a more likely bet at an ED ivy/elite.
  • apparently22apparently22 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    There are some top terrific LACs (too many to name) and Universities (U Chicago, Wash U, Vandy) that offer EDII options should one's EA or SCEA choice school falls through.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,507 Senior Member
    Yes, ED can give a boost. But so can EA at the HYP schools. I know a handful of kids that did get accepted EA to those schools with no hooks. A study of Harvards’s data revealed that EA unhooked applicants do get a boost, and it was more than just a bit. MIT and CIT do not give any advantage to applying early. I suspect the deliberately manage their EA acceptances so that it’d that way.

The problem with ED is that you compromise your chances for merit money. That money is usually distributed by Admissions to sweeten the deal for the best candidates, have that in the mix when they are weighing their choices. You have done the deal when you accept ED so it is very rare to get merit money which is usually awarded in the spring anyway.
  • RiversiderRiversider Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    edited May 20
    @cptofthehouse

None of the top EA schools give any merit money so if you are looking for merit money to make it work, it’s a moot point and a waste either way.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    edited May 20
    In fact, for some colleges like Duke you might even be at a disadvantage.

Huh? Duke has been one school that has been upfront about ED being an advantage for the unhooked (at least that's what they have said in the admissions sessions).

There is no question that ED is an advantage at every school that offers it. I also agree with cpt: SCEA can be an advantage as well.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,507 Senior Member
    I’m not talking about merit money from the SCEA schools. I understand there is no merit money there.

I am looking at the scenario of someone who is looking at the possibility of getting into HYPMS, willing to pay that premium, and weighing the advantage of SCEA there versus Rice, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, UCh et al. Student has a small chance for merit at that second grouping of schools but does have a strong enough academic resume that the possibility is there. On the other hand, the way things are heading, it is possible that kid gets shut out of all of those schools too. And let’s say he really does love Rice, and parent has looked at it and can see it as a great choice too, but they are Texans and every top Texan kid is going to be applying there. It would be so sweet to wrap it up with an ED that just might boost that app to an accept. Rice gets a high stat great kid as a certainty, kid is done by year end with this whole thing.

But then the HPYSM Card is gone. Likely so is merit money from Rice because why should they pay for a done deal.

I see this scenario a lot. I’ve played parts of this game before as well, so I know the moves well. Might not be where you are, but plenty of parents and kids looking at how to play this out