right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

My son for class of 2021

VinodVinod 0 replies1 threads New Member
My son is Junior in high school now and his current GPA is 5.74 (of scale 5), SAT score is 1560. He wants to do Economics/Finance from Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, UChicago colleges. Q : Is it good idea to do a college visit during spring 2020? Any pointer will be helpful..
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: My son for class of 2021

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 8281 replies70 threads Senior Member
    We did find it helpful to visit before applications opened. Some schools that looked great on paper, my D hated.

I would also encourage your son to be sure he focuses on finding match and safety schools. The reaches are reaches, no matter what the stats.
    · Reply · Share
  • bloomfield88bloomfield88 249 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited January 3
    Great to visit and do enjoy. It is a special time to be with your son. Let him lead.

Cornell and Dartmouth are very, very different surroundings than Columbia, which is different than U Chicago campus. Your son may love all, but chances are he will eliminate one 'type' off his list. Then, you can backfill with similar institutions.

I suggest nailing a Safety your son is very comfortable attending first to set the floor. Then, everything else is icing. Only apply to colleges he likes more than that safety.
    edited January 3
    · Reply · Share