right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

My son for class of 2021

VinodVinod 0 replies1 threads New Member
My son is Junior in high school now and his current GPA is 5.74 (of scale 5), SAT score is 1560. He wants to do Economics/Finance from Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, UChicago colleges. Q : Is it good idea to do a college visit during spring 2020? Any pointer will be helpful..
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: My son for class of 2021

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 9072 replies89 threads Senior Member
    We did find it helpful to visit before applications opened. Some schools that looked great on paper, my D hated.

I would also encourage your son to be sure he focuses on finding match and safety schools. The reaches are reaches, no matter what the stats.
    · Reply · Share
  • bloomfield88bloomfield88 329 replies0 threads Member
    edited January 3
    Great to visit and do enjoy. It is a special time to be with your son. Let him lead.

Cornell and Dartmouth are very, very different surroundings than Columbia, which is different than U Chicago campus. Your son may love all, but chances are he will eliminate one 'type' off his list. Then, you can backfill with similar institutions.

I suggest nailing a Safety your son is very comfortable attending first to set the floor. Then, everything else is icing. Only apply to colleges he likes more than that safety.
    edited January 3
    · Reply · Share