right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Which Ivy (Princeton, Harvard, Columbia) would be best for pre-med

allaroundzallaroundz 2 replies2 threads New Member
I was thinking of doing pre-med but am not 100% certain because I know many people switch out once they start their pre-med track at under grad. Which school out of Harvard, Princeton, Columbia would be the most flexible, and (for lack of a better term) easiest to have a good chance at getting above a 3.5 gpa if I choose to stick to the pre-med track? Which would help me get into medical school the best?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding anything about the premed route, I was just looking for advice regarding this.
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which Ivy (Princeton, Harvard, Columbia) would be best for pre-med

• OneMoreToGo2021OneMoreToGo2021 379 replies0 threads Member
    Harvard. It is the easiest of those three. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2747 replies8 threads Senior Member
    None of them. Your best chance of medical is your own home state because public medical schools give preference to state residents. Which means, you need to keep the debt down, since medical school is horrendously expensive.

That's assuming you even choose it in the first place. Doctor is a popular dream out of high school, but almost none of them actually go to medical school. You discover hidden passions in college. The average college student changes their major 3 times. Just enter college with an open mind.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23567 replies2337 threads Senior Member
    edited March 18
    Until you have an acceptance in hand from all three universities it is a moot point.
    edited March 18
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 3913 replies71 threads Senior Member
    edited March 18
    You do not need to go to a prestigious undergrad school to be accepted to med school......in fact, the name of the undergrad school is not an important part of the med school admissions process.

Specifically with regard to the 3 schools you mention, do your research. Understand how Columbia's core might impact your GPA and any potential issues of combining the core with med school pre-reqs. I agree with the above poster that Harvard probably has the highest average GPA of this group.....but the trick is getting accepted to a school with a 5% acceptance rate.

Some selected pre-med considerations to research at any school:

What would you major in?
    What's the availability of opportunities for med school required ECs (patient facing experience, physician shadowing, volunteer roles, research)
    Does the school publish average/range of GPAs by course?
    What type of pre-health advisory services does the school offer?

Understand what your family can pay each year for college. Med school is expensive and most students take out at least some loans to fund it.....so minimize undergrad loans.

As with any college search, make sure you apply to a range of schools......several reaches, a handful of matches, and at least one affordable safety. Spend more time identifying matches and safeties, as it's statistically likely that the school you will attend is in one of those categories.

Good luck.
    edited March 18
    · Reply · Share
  • allaroundzallaroundz 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Thanks for the responses guys. I understand that a state school would be best for minimizing debt, but as one of you said, many people switch our of pre med. in that case wouldn’t going to one of these schools be “better” as it opens more doors?
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2747 replies8 threads Senior Member
    "in that case wouldn’t going to one of these schools be “better” as it opens more doors?"

Open doors is really a function of what you major in rather than the school you go to. and it varies widely from industry to industry. For medical school...no. They look at grades and MCAT scores. If you're getting an engineering degree, you can find an entry level job just as easily at a state university. For computers, after 3 years experience, employers don't give a rat's butt where you went to school as long as you're a qualified candidate.
    · Reply · Share
  • OneMoreToGo2021OneMoreToGo2021 379 replies0 threads Member
    All those schools are great if you offramp from premed and want to change directions while leaving your options open. Of the three, Harvard still probably comes out on top for "opening doors," although of course we are splitting hairs and 90%+ of your ultimate outcome will be determined by you alone, not whether your diploma says Harvard, Princeton or Columbia.

As others have mentioned, the trick is getting into any one of them....

And of course your family needs to be comfortable with the finances.

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share