Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

"Only good for medicine"

2»

Replies to: "Only good for medicine"

• NixonDenierNixonDenier Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    I was a Neuroscience major but I took some phenomenal coursework in art history with (what I later learned) some very highly-regarded professors in the field. Nonetheless, Hopkins has been trying to shake this perception that it's only a place for the sciences and engineering for some time. Those in academia know otherwise, but the general public thinks of the med school (it is constantly referenced in pop culture) and maybe the engineering programs and Applied Physics Lab (which came up a lot recently for all of their military drone research).

I had a friend in the electrical engineering program who admitted it was a difficult, but great, program. I'm convinced that the best position to be in as a graduate is to have real-life experiences under your belt for employment purposes (or grad school, for that matter). For the sciences (and I would argue any field) research exposes you to real-world problems, lets you develop marketable skills and puts your education to use as you reinforce what you learn. Few schools come close to the sheer amount of research opportunities that Hopkins offers (along with the NIH which has labs in Baltimore too), and Hopkins' active enforcement of its research-driven vision really pushes undergrads to pursue these opportunities. Hopkins has a small undergrad population with plenty of resources to go around, and I can attest that they delivered in that regard. My freshman year I sent out a single email to an NIH lab and I was working there 3x/wk a month later. I spent all four years getting multiple publications and real-world experience in that lab, and that has really helped me in my post-grad endeavors. Don't let a program-ranking survey dissuade you from a school that delivers where it matters most (in my opinion).
2»
This discussion has been closed.