Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Hard is JHU's Neuroscience?

HipHopIsMadeHipHopIsMade Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
I am planning to apply RD, and I want to know how difficult Neuroscience is at this institution. If you put enough effort, can you have a perfect GPA and still sustain a social life? Or am I...assuming too much? Jk, I just want to know the difficulty, and how much it will prepare me for medical school.

Thanks alot

Replies to: How Hard is JHU's Neuroscience?

• behavneuronerdbehavneuronerd Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Current neuro/psych double major. I wouldn't say our neuro major is difficult per se, but it does require pretty much every intro science (bio, chem, orgo, physics), which can be both a positive and a negative: premeds love it because it covers their premed reqs, but all of these classes will factor into your major GPA, so it's harder to maintain a high major GPA. There are only 4 core neuroscience courses you have to take; Cog Neuro and Neuro Lab aren't said to be difficult, but Nervous Systems I/II is notoriously hard. Overall, DON'T EXPECT TO GET A 4.0 AT JHU, regardless of what you major in. That being said, it is extremely possible to still get a good GPA and have a social life when you major in neuro or anything else here.
  • HipHopIsMadeHipHopIsMade Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    @behavneuronerd So, what would be considered a really good GPA at JHU?
    @HipHopIsMade Dean's List here is anything above 3.5, so I'd say that's a good benchmark to shoot for.
  • HipHopIsMadeHipHopIsMade Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    @behavneuronerd Cool, so a normal Deans List. Anything above that is fair game for med school then, right?
    @HipHopIsMade I'm not premed, so I can't help you there. Honestly, the healthiest attitude is just to try your best in your classes and not worry about the minutia of your GPA. It's a given at hopkins that classes are difficult and your classmates are brilliant; the vast majority of people struggle academically for the first time here and that's 100% okay! I personally think that it's better to learn how to work your ass off for a B+ and feel satisfied than it is to stress over having a 4.0. There's so much else about the college experience to enjoy, anyways :)
This discussion has been closed.