Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

JHU = No loans?

donjuan78donjuan78 - Posts: 633 Member
edited February 2008 in Johns Hopkins University
It seems that every elite private university now has gone the no-loans route; even those which relatively rank lower than JHU (tufts). Will JHU be next?

Why are they taking so long? Do they actually think that paying loans is a good thing? :confused: I sincerely hope that if they want to help out society, like they claim they do, they would think about helping out lower-income families.
Post edited by donjuan78 on

Replies to: JHU = No loans?

• orpheus2708orpheus2708 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    wait, what exactly do you mean by this?
  • WealthOfInformationWealthOfInformation Registered User Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    Going no loans for most schools is a luxury. For schools that are tuition-dependent, it's not really an option. Schools would if they could - not sure if JHU is in that position just yet.
  • donjuan78donjuan78 - Posts: 633 Member
    orpheus, what i mean by this is that since Harvard's decision to end loans for low-income students, a lot of private schools have also done the same thing. Yet, i find it kinda weird that JHU has not done it.

for more information, or if you would like to see the list of schools that are currently no loans, go here:

FinAid | Answering Your Questions | No Loans for Low Income Students
  • coolguyusa123coolguyusa123 Registered User Posts: 551 Member
    This was asked a while back, and I remember AdmissionsDaniel mentioning that, for some time, a revamp of the financial aid criteria at Hopkins was being considered. Even before many schools started hastily announcing broad changes.

I'm sure we're taking longer to announce any change because we like to do things correctly the first time, depending on what's best for our school.
This discussion has been closed.