Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Questions Regarding Undocumented Immigrant Students

FiveKeyFiveKey Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
edited February 2008 in Johns Hopkins University
Hello fellow CCers and Johns Hopkins applicants,

I have a few questions to anyone who knows, or AdmissionsDaniel himself, about the application process for undocumented immigrant students. For reference, I am an undocumented immigrant student who has lived in the U.S. for seventeen years. My parents and I immigrated to the U.S. when I was a month or two old, and we have lived here ever since. I am not exactly sure, but I believe that my parents decided to stay in the U.S. despite the fact that their visa expired. Unfortunately, I was too young to grasp the concept of immigration when I was young child; if I were older, I would have urged them to renew it. So in a series of events, I am here today in the U.S. with this status.

Anyways, I've received a letter from a college that I've applied to stating that my application will not be reviewed due to my status:
"Unfortunately, we cannot accept and review applications from an individual who is undocumented in the United States."

I am not sure if I should mention the name of the university, but I was wondering if the same applies for Johns Hopkins University as well.

In addition, if Johns Hopkins University will still review my application, I would like to know if I am at a disadvantage in the application reviewing process due to my status as an undocumented immigrant student. I understand that I will be considered an international student, but I am curious if my application will be weaker compared to those of other international applicants because of my status.

Lastly, I have an awkward question. I have recently read this article, and I want to know if Johns Hopkins University will be obligated to report to the government about my status if I am accepted.

With many thanks and kind regards,
FiveKey

P.S. I decided to ask these questions in a more public place so that others with the same status can see the answers too.
Post edited by FiveKey on

Replies to: Questions Regarding Undocumented Immigrant Students

This discussion has been closed.