Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

should i do ED?

puhokepuhoke Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
edited October 2008 in Johns Hopkins University
SAT I:
2050 (i took that sophomore year) (except im going with my ACT score)

SAT II: 770 (math 2C)
790 (bio)
720 (chem- going to retake that if i can)

ACT:
33 (english score was better here)
34 (most recent one)-- equivalent to 2260+ on SAT

GPA:
freshman through junior (4.24/ 3.92)
sophomore through junior (4.37/3.88)
junior (4.65/ one B/ both semesters)
(our school is ridiculously hard =o=)

AP SCORES:
AP music theory: 5
AP bio: 5
--our school does calculus via Cal State Fullerton; so credit automatically transfers without AP test--

SENIOR SCHEDULE:
ap physics, ap gov, ap lit, ap spanish, music class

COMMUNITY COLLEGE COURSES:
psychology A
chem 1A A
chem 1B B
sign language I A
health A

EXTRACURRICULAR:
tennis: all four years (coach's award 10th grade) (MVP award 11th grade)
clarinet: all southern (9-11th) all-state (11th); principal chair this year
church volunteer for AWANA (co-leader) (8-11th)
CSF (from 9th grade)
library volunteer (from 8th grade)
COSMOS @ UCI (this summer; was chosen to speak at the closing ceremony)

OTHER RANDOM STUFF?
i taught myself guitar, saxophone, and french horn?
i like to draw and paint
i am going to self-teach myself AP psych, AP enviro, (possible AP compsci)
so i can get the national AP scholar recognition (lol)

do i have a shot a BME?
because if not, i dont want to bother applying?

please be honest.
Post edited by puhoke on

Replies to: should i do ED?

• WealthOfInformationWealthOfInformation Registered User Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    Why not give it a shot?

I will comment that you should love Hopkins in all facets of the university. What if you don't like BME and you switch out? Could you be happy there if you weren't in BME? You should be in love with all aspects of Hopkins for ED like strong school spirit (lacrosse), the east coast city life, and the campus traditions and internationalism.
  • KyuuKyuu Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    You can try applying for BME ED, but just so you know, the ED action isn't binding if you don't get into BME in that round of admission. However, if you do get in BME and have applied ED, it's still binding. So if you're sure you want to do BME, then feel free to apply.
  • puhokepuhoke Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    but do i have a chance at BME? ):
    bump*

anyone?
  • WealthOfInformationWealthOfInformation Registered User Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    if you want bme then just try it - see what happens.
    does marking that i want to do BME
    affect my chances of admission?
  • YanksDolphinsYanksDolphins Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    Yes-you will be evaluated with respect to the other BME applicants. You may be accepted to the university, but not the BME program.
  • AmbitiousteenAmbitiousteen Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    Lol... 100 bucks says your just doing BME because that is what JHU is mainly famous for... and its the top BME Program...

No offense, im sure many of the BME candidates have internships/research/ some form of ec that shows their interest with human body/mechanics/engineering...

i cant really tell from ur app...

Im applying ED BME... but thats cuz i know i got the math/passion to apply that to medicine...

hope that clarifies your chances
  • JHUeryJHUery Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    Umm...the ONLY reason why you should apply ED at some school should be because that is your number one choice- not to increase your chances of getting in. Other than knowing that Hopkins has one of the top BME programs, have you investigated other information? Like how BME students are like here, how the student life is, how happy students are, what clubs/opportunities there are? Getting accepted BME may sound impressive, and you can brag to all your non-BME friends for the first semester, but when you have to take 18 credits a semester (instead of the usual 15) and stressing out about your grades, you'll probably regret applying ED simply because you wanted to increase your chances of getting in. I'm not trying to say that BME at Hopkins isn't good, it's quite the opposite. Also, I don't necessarily think that applying ED will increase your chances at getting BME, since being accepted to the University is one thing, and accepted to BME is another. From what you're saying (as far as I understand), if you don't think you'll get into BME, then you won't "bother" applying. That's honestly the wrong mentality to have when applying to a school ED, and I wouldn't do it if I were you. If you don't truly love the school enough to "bother" going here, then please don't apply ED and let someone else have your spot.
  • AmbitiousteenAmbitiousteen Registered User Posts: 893 Member
    Well Put JHUery!

that was exactly how i was trying to say it. But i rather a person at JHU tell it like it is.
This discussion has been closed.