Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Hopkins student kills intruder with sword off-campus

2»

Replies to: Hopkins student kills intruder with sword off-campus

• Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge - to defend or point fingers without knowing all the facts. As of now, he's innocent but there's a possibility he may face a trial. None of you can really say whether whether he felt his life was in danger or whether he became the aggressor. Personally, I'd instinctively feel a slight creep about the person if I find him having a sumurai sword in his own room.
  • lagunallagunal Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    I guess you aren't from Texas or certain hunting states where most people own hunting rifles or guns and some openly display them in their homes. I don't know anyone who didn't own a gun where I grew up. Did I know people who owned huge knives? Yes. Everyone. Everyone I knew had a block of knives in their kitchen. And most kids had bats. So I think it is weird to be creeped out by a samurai sword unless you were raised in a culture and/or country where most people don't have those things in their homes. Pretty common in the USA.
    Yea, I wasn't raised in such culture. But that's besides the point anyway.

based on what the article says, you really can't conclude one way or another. It's easy to think it's all about self-defense. On the other hand, there are reasons to suspect otherwise that warrant further investigation:

1. that the student owns a sumarai sword and that he seemed confident to use it could possibly means he had some training in martial arts and the use of that deadly weapon.
    2. the student went out of his apartment through the backdoor, headed toward the garage and the noise to investigate. in other words, he took the initiative to confront the intruder. consider this on top of point #1, you now have a question on how much "fear" he really had. remember some of you just assumed he did it out of fear for his life. personally, if it were me and if i were really scared, i would have got out of my aparmtent through the front door or stayed in my room/apartment, locked the door (remember the noise was from the garage at the back, NOT inside the apartment), called the police, and just had my sword with me just in case the intruder went on to force his way into my apartment or my room. that seems to be a more natural response. the guy that was interviewed said the same thing. the intruder was not inside the place and you don't have a family to protect.
    3. since his place got robbed the day before, it's possible he got fed up and had a chip on his shoulder.
    4. the student said "the intruder lunged at him". everyone would say the same thing because it means "self-defense". we don't know if that's what really happend. if there were some separation between the two when they first saw each other, it seemed incredibly stupid for the intruder to head staight toward someone with a huge sword. the intruder carried no weapon (reasonable assumption because if he did, the news would likely have mentioned it) so it's reasonble to question if the intruder was really that confrontational.
    I disagree. I do not believe the intruder was not that confrontational.... he has a history of burglaries and break-ins. This was his life. His career. How much more confrontational do you want?

It is perfectly normal and natural for someone to check out the house and yard if one hears a strange noise in the middle of the night. It is also very reasonable for someone to pick up a bat, knife, gun, mace, or other weapon in the house (why do people own guns anyway.. to protect themselves) just in case they need to protect themselves. That is the American Culture. That is the response on practically every American TV show or movie and so the America people are culturally trained to react in that manner for self defense.

I think it is too bad the student didn't own a dog because dogs will usually warn the homeowner early and sometimes drive away unwanted predators. Dogs also go sniffing around and have no fear in protecting their owners if necessary.

Since you are from another culture, you should probably learn that in the USA, this is the typical reaction. That he grabbed the first thing he saw, a centerpiece sword he probably displayed as decor, was not out of line. What would you grab? I grabbed a large rock once and was not afraid to use it. Your adrenaline rushes so fast a person doesn't have time to sit and think rationally as you are suggesting. It happens fast. Reaction is from fear and protection.

If it ever happens that you are a potential victim of an aggressor, I doubt that you won't grab something to protect yourself, as you suggest. Most victims are not assaulted from behind as was the chemistry student who was stabbed this week in the UCLA chem lab by another UCLA student. Most people have some sort of warning to try to protect themselves.
  • hellojanhellojan Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    So, the kid didn't call the police? Rather, he took out a weapon, which we now understand he was skilled in using, and hunted down the intruder?

Not only is this Hopkins kid the clear aggressor, he sounds blood thirsty.
    "he was skilled in using"...
    actually, the police report says he was not skilled in using. he just swung and luckily hit the target. Did you make that up?
    It is also very reasonable for someone to pick up a bat, knife, gun, mace, or other weapon in the house (why do people own guns anyway.. to protect themselves) just in case they need to protect themselves. That is the American Culture. That is the response on practically every American TV show or movie and so the America people are culturally trained to react in that manner for self defense.

Are you sure that's a "natural" response? The guy interviewed on the news looks pretty American to me and he said he'd have got out of the house and called the police. He's not a small dude either. As for American TV shows, they are meant to create drama. Even Asian TV shows are like that. They investigate and check out the noise and then drama happens.

So is hellojan not American?

As for him being confrontational, it seems to me his record has been mostly about petty crimes. If he's really that aggressive, you'd think he'd have committed something bigger, hurt someone, and he wouldn't be on the street so quickly. He carried no weapon and he didn't go into the apartment. Rather, he's looking for things in the garage, typically not the most valuable stuff. He didn't take the higer risk to steal more valuable stuff. So I am not sure if you can conclude he's aggressive and confrontational in the sense that he wanted or was prepared to fight and attack.

I think you are stretching a bit and giving too many benefits of doubt to the student without knowing fully what went on.
  • RaddddRadddd Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    You have a weird noises coming parts of your house.
    You have been robbed before
    You have a samurai sword that you've probably aren't trained well in.

In any case, I would probably have taken the Samurai sword and walked towards the noise too to investigate.

In the heat of the moment, IF the robber lunged at him, then it would be a perfectly normal response to slash at him, defending yourself. That would probably be called self defense.

But, if he saw the burglar rustling through his stuff, just took the initiative and slashed him, then I'm guessing that would probably be murder.

In retrospect, taking a bat would have been more useful. Take a quick whiff at his ribs, hands, balls, or leg and he's immobilized, not dead (unless a broken rib pierces his heart or a vital organ).
2»
This discussion has been closed.