Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ok I was thinking of applying ED to JHU but another kid in my school is also........?

IwantcollegehelpIwantcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in Johns Hopkins University
Will this hurt my chances,especially if the student is a better applicant than I.However, i am still competitive..
Post edited by Iwantcollegehelp on

Replies to: Ok I was thinking of applying ED to JHU but another kid in my school is also........?

• AdmissionsDanielAdmissionsDaniel College Rep Posts: 2,788 Senior Member
    it doesn't matter ... each applicant is reviewed individually and independently from other applicants from the same school.
  • IwantcollegehelpIwantcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    Hi admissionsDaniel! Love the blog...but I have another question.I was reading your blog and you were writing about how the stigma of it being easier to get in ED is not true.And that the applicants are "academically" held to the same standard.I understand that obviously the students are held academically to the same standard, but what about other parts of the application?(extracurricular activies)Are they held to similar but less competitive standards due to the interest shown to go to Johns Hopkins?Just a question out of interest from the wording on one of the blogs:)
  • superjewsuperjew Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    It's all hollistic and the interest factor is included within that

Even if you apply Regular Decision, interest can be shown through essays
    Its not the same...Early decision isn't just showing interest.It is telling the school that they are their first choice.That can never really be revealed in RD.Hollistic means that they look at the applicant as a whole,but also consider particular parts of the process carefully.(Hence you can be a D student and get into JHU because eveything else is good)
    Interest is an extremely minor factor is our admissions review process. It may be so at other schools, but at Hopkins we admit students on the merits of the application and accomplishments, not because they really want to go to Hopkins.

Our review process is extremely holistic. When I state that ED and RD applicants are reviewed on the same scale and held to the same standards that does not just refer to the academics. It refers to everything. We do not lower any of our standards to admit a student ED, or just because they are very interested in attending JHU.
    Thanks Admissions..I realized that interest never counted THAT much but ED gives the admissions to spend much more time when reviewing the files etc:)HA theres a typo i meant that a D student couldnt get in even hollistically...
  • WealthOfInformationWealthOfInformation Registered User Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    If you really want to go to Hopkins, don't be thrown by other people in your school. If everyone thought that way, nobody would apply anywhere....

Good luck!
    Ok so it entirely possible that two kids from the same school could be accepted or would they just accept the better applicant if the other is less qualified...I just can't see me having a chance if someone better applies and I am a borderline applicant if we are from same school applying ed...well even with perfect grades in the hardest program and good test scores and ok EC with some cool awards..I see the fit with JHU just not sure about a possibility of acceptace?
  • ResearchDadResearchDad Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    My son went to a large public HS in central NJ, with a strong engineering/science magnet program. There were twenty four graduating seniors in the program. Three of the 24 were accepted and decided to attend Johns Hopkins.

If your credentials are strong enough, it won't matter if other strong candidates apply and get into Johns Hopkins. Just do well in high school, prepare the best application that you can, and hope for the best. Good luck.
    Thank You! I am still skeptical though...however i looked up an ED thread on JHU and it was ridiculous people with UW:3.5 were getting in by the dozen.JHU and I are a fit and so i will apply ED regardless but i dont think they will accept 2 people from the same school ED round especially when one is extremely qualified and one is only good.
  • syc652syc652 Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    To be honest, Hopkins is my first choice school, and I know for a fact that another kid from my school is applying ED and getting in (he...worked there for summers and know profs and stuff...so yeah). But I think I'm so drawn to this school, I don't even care. Whatever happens, happens...

It's too bad interest isn't taken into account =(
    wow so im not alone...
  • YanksDolphinsYanksDolphins Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    They really don't care how many people apply from your school. I don't think anyone from my school applied ED when I was going through the process, but at least 7 of us, 6 in the top 15 in the class (people, not %!) applied RD and 5 got in. Clearly, they look at everyone on a person-by-person basis. And to further drive home the point, the valedictorian did not get in, the salutatorian did.
    ohh wow...yah im top 1 percentile in my class..i was looking at last years ed acceptance profiles on this website and most kids had a 3.5-3.6 GPA? how could this be?
    They really don't care how many people apply from your school. I don't think anyone from my school applied ED when I was going through the process, but at least 7 of us, 6 in the top 15 in the class (people, not %!) applied RD and 5 got in. Clearly, they look at everyone on a person-by-person basis. And to further drive home the point, the valedictorian did not get in, the salutatorian did.

100% correct.
This discussion has been closed.