Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ED chances for Johns Hopkins

xjemmaxjemma Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited November 2009 in Johns Hopkins University
Asian
Private International School (British Curriclum - IGCSEs & IB Diploma) - Since Kindergarden

GCSEs -
Double award science - A*/A*
Math -A*
Chinese - A*
Design Technology Resistant Materials - A
Economics - A
Geography - A
English Literature - B
English Language B

(i'm not some freak who doesn't know how to speak in english HAHA.i just messed up my tests. got 116 for TOEFL)

We have no GPA but that accounts for about 3.8ish i guess?

IB -
Chemistry HL - 6
Biology HL - 6
Math HL - 5
Economics SL - 6
Chinese SL - 6
English - 6

You guys got to know the academic rigor of the IB program.. UGH. GPA around 3.6~3.7

SAT I - Math - 760, CR - 660, W - 700
SAT II - haven't taken them but predicted to get around
Chem - 750+
Biology 750+
Math IIC - 750+

No financial Aid

ECs -
Duke of Edinburgh - Hong Kong Award for Young People – Bronze award, Silver award
International Evening Participation - Korean Drumming
Football Varsity
Rugby Junior Varsity, Varsity
Rugby (hong Kong Football Club) Under 16s, 19s
Netball Junior Varsity
Baseball (Hong Kong Little League)
Yearbook Team
The Innovation Fashion Show – Finance
Sweetney Todd Stage Production
Korean Language, Literature, History classes
Choir
Guitar
Korean Drumming (Samulnori) – 2000 - present

Leadership/Responsibility
Prefect
Junior Prefect
House Captain selected twice
Head of fundraising for World AIDS Day
Baseball (Hong Kong Little League) Captain
Charity Representative of Class and Year group

Awards
United Kingdom Mathematics Trust – Junior Bronze award (top 20%)
Intermediate (awarded twice) Silver (top13%) award Senior Silver award (top 13%)
School awards (awarded to two top students in whole year, very competitve) -
Design and Technology Award
Information Technology Award
School Commendations –
Economics, Science, Geography, Chinese, Design Technology, Senior Section
Award in Digital Applications Level 2 (highest)

Community Service
Crossroads (practical service) 50 hours
Tanzania (practical service & fund-raising) 50 hours
Home of Love – Hong Kong based (practical service) 50 hours
Clean up for Taean Oil Spill - 40 hours
St. Joseph Welfare Foundation – Korea (for the severely physically and mentally disabled) 30 hours
Wild flower Village Foundation – Korea (for the severely mentally disabled) 30 hours
Head of fundraising for World AIDS day (fundraising) – 30 hours
Korean drumming performances for various organizations – Unicef, Home of Love, Red Cross (practical service) - 70 hours
Innovation – Finance, volunteer (practical service & fund-raising) 20 hours
Tutoring Math (practical service) – 20 hours

I think i have pretty good ECs but not a lot of leadership things.
My grades arent' THAT great but i hope i can get into ED.

Do you guys think i have a chance?
Post edited by xjemma on

Replies to: ED chances for Johns Hopkins

• pineappleexpresspineappleexpress Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    Yes you have a chance-ED is less competitive than RD from what I've heard.
  • RaddddRadddd Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    Chemistry HL - 6
    Biology HL - 6
    Math HL - 5
    Economics SL - 6
    Chinese SL - 6
    English - 6

I'm sorry, but most unis expect some 7s. In our school, a 7 in Ecnomics SL is expected from alot of the top 10 students out of the regular 30 that take it. Biology HL isn't very hard also, listening to grads I'm friends with. Many competititve applicants get 7s in Chem and Bio. Math HL is definitely a bugger, so I'm not going to bug you there. I hope that your nationality is not chinese because getting a 6 in a second language course for your native language looks poorly upon you. And english is english. Difficult as ever, especially for orals. A 6 is very good.

I'm in IB too, and I'm expecting a 38+ without the 3 points on the IB scale. That's with taking Physics HL, Math HL, History HL, English HL, Chem SL, and French SL.

But then again, your GCSEs are very strong in many areas, and you are locked up in the ECs part of the application.

Hope your essay is strong, and you'll be fine in my opinion.
  • AdmissionsDanielAdmissionsDaniel College Rep Posts: 2,788 Senior Member
    Yes you have a chance-ED is less competitive than RD from what I've heard.

No it is not. Read this:
    Hopkins Insider: Early Decision: Is It Right For You?
  • gtgengtgen Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    I hope you're a shoe-in. If not, theres no chance at all for me! Good luck.
  • itsme123itsme123 Registered User Posts: 1,108 Senior Member
    regardless of what Daniel says, ED (it's ED not EA) favors you. as it happened last year, they picked more from ED, relatively speaking. though ED candidates are more well-prepared and self-selected etc., the evidence is there that ED definitely favors you. Only UPenn I have seen admit to this fact.
    regardless of what Daniel says, ED (it's ED not EA) favors you

I wasn't going to respond to this at first, but then was encouraged to by a student, so here goes. You know this because you read applications for Johns Hopkins and you have been doing such for the past 6 years. You have sat in on conversations with the Dean of Admissions in advance of reading ED and RD files and are privvy to his philoshophy on the way applications should be evaluated. You have sat in on Admissions committee reviews for ED and RD at Hopkins and you know what information is discussed. Well, if you had you would know that we evaluate ED and RD applications in nearly the same fashion, and our standards for admission are the same. The way ED favors one is that an Admissions staff of 12 people have about 45 days to evaluate approximately 1000 applications versus 90-100 days to evaluate 16000+ applications. I could go on, but really I have already expressed my thoughts (and facts) in the blog posted I linked to above.

Feel free to attack me and what I say, but I hope those on CC respect me as an extremely credible source of information.
  • Professor101Professor101 Registered User Posts: 640 Member
    I'd say both of you (AD and Itsme) are correct. I have no doubt that that JHU has similar standards for ED and RD as AD has said, but at the same time the process does favor the ED applicants. Assuming that the ED pool and RD pool are equally strong (which is most likely), the ED rate is 40+% while the RD is only about 20+%. You can see that advantage of ED from a pure statistical point of view.

One of the reason that Duke had such a run-up in ED applicants is that they are telling people this year ED has a advantage. Maybe, Hopkins should say the same thing.
    The problem with when you just quote acceptance rates, people then just make the assumption it is easier and the standards must be lower. Just stating acceptance rates does not say anything about:

-- the size of the applicant pools (vastly different);
    -- the quality of the applicants across the two applicants pools (ED pool tends to have a higher percentage of stronger applicants than RD pool);
    -- the policy of whether an acceptance rate is a pre-set rate, or variable (Hopkins does not set a 40+% acceptance rate for ED, as it is based on quality of the pool -- if there is a weaker ED applicant pool than the acceptance rate will drop);
    -- the number of recruited athletes in the ED pool (as a DIII school it is in the best interest of coaches and the Admissions office to encourage recruits to apply ED);
    -- etc.

I have had so much experience with students just looking at acceptance rates and making huge assumptions about the lessening of standards if one decides to apply ED. The way I and my colleagues evaluates an ED applicant is the same way we evaluate an RD applicant, except we have a bit more time to review the application.

And finally, at this time Hopkins has no desire to grow our ED applicant pool and we are not going to start stating something just to boost numbers.
  • IwantcollegehelpIwantcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    lol this is so funny...I almost wrote to the guy itsme123 because he was discrediting the only credible person here an, ADMISSION OFFICER and was being rude....lol. And for a school to say it is easier to get in ED, ruins the reason for ED,which is for students who want to commit to a school, because they love the school not because it's easier...The ED advantage is to get in,possibly, earlier,to have more time spent on the application,and (for some schools) financial funds are at the maximum.For the school,the advantage is creating a core class that locks in dedicated students :) If a school is stating something just to increase number that is ,in my opinion, disgusting.
This discussion has been closed.