Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I wish JHU superscored the ACTs =(

syc652syc652 Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
edited October 2009 in Johns Hopkins University
So I took the ACTs twice...I ended up with the same score twice...but:

June:
C: 30
E: 33
R: 31
M: 32
S: 25

Sept:
C:30
E: 31
R: 29
M: 32
S: 28

So science went up, everything else went down...I'm not sure what to do right now! And I'm applying ED =/
Post edited by syc652 on

Replies to: I wish JHU superscored the ACTs =(

• medlovemedlove Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    perhaps you should take the October act..that is what I am doing and I am applying ED
  • lagunallagunal Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    I've seen that happen on others' tests. That's why you take the SAT IIs and AP tests in sciences
  • WealthOfInformationWealthOfInformation Registered User Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    Schools should never superscore the ACT. The test wasn't normed that way.
  • mabsjenbu123mabsjenbu123 Registered User Posts: 2,770 Senior Member
    Actually some schools DO superscore the ACT. See Cornell University.
  • WealthOfInformationWealthOfInformation Registered User Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    well then they don't know what they are doing. The way the ACT is constructed an examined, the individual subject scores are all independent and different combinations of them all yield different composite scores based on the different sittings.
  • syc652syc652 Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    "well then they don't know what they are doing. The way the ACT is constructed an examined, the individual subject scores are all independent and different combinations of them all yield different composite scores based on the different sittings. "

..........they don't know what they're doing because.....?

NYU superscores them too.
  • ihs76ihs76 Registered User Posts: 1,866 Senior Member
    MIT also.
    the individual subject scores are all independent and different combinations of them all yield different composite scores based on the different sittings.

The composite is a mere average of the subscores (except the writing portion), so I don't get your point. And this is different from SAT just how?
  • syc652syc652 Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    I just hope my chances aren't totally gone >.<
    Do your research on the ACT (norming, percentiles, etc.) It's completely different from the SAT. Each subject sub-score is unique to that exam and that exam is unique in and of itself in how it is normed. Schools should not average the subscores and make their own composite. ACT determines the composite based on the subscores - not a school. That's all.
This discussion has been closed.