Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Class of 2013: Journalism majors

2»

Replies to: Class of 2013: Journalism majors

• Rolando4Rolando4 Registered User Posts: 413 Member
    Thank you for relaying that advice! What kind of journalism are you interested in studying and pursuing? Online? I'm a broadcast journalism major; as implied, I'd like to work for television, but who knows.
  • CE527MCE527M Registered User Posts: 4,989 Senior Member
    Well, if I could, print, but that's laughable, so probably online. I've been considering sports journalism too.
  • tommyboy614tommyboy614 Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    I'm so glad you mentioned that, Rolando4! I've been worrying a lot about that lately. Journalism is my passion and I don't want to give it up, but I know how the economy is and prospects for journalists. But at the same time, I feel in order to be successful in Journalism, you have to be passionate for it. So if you have passion, you'll succeed!
    Also, great advice CE27M!
    If it's not too personal, what schools are you guys attending? I really wish this section was more active!
    I'll be attending Drake University in Des Moines, IA this fall. My actual major is called "News/Internet."

I too wish this thread was more active!
    Oh, and the News/Internet major is basically the new term for "print," but I'll also be learning online and multimedia my first semester.
    Yeah, I guess there just aren't a lot of journalism majors for our class?

What kind of publications does Drake have? U of I has a paper called the Daily Illini, a long with a few magazines. Unfortunately, they don't have a news broadcast show :/.
    Drake has The Times Delphic, it's twice weekly newspaper, a LOT of magazines (Drake has one of the best, if not, the best, magazine programs), a radio station (94.1 The Dog) and it has a broadcasting station. That's one of the reasons why I chose Drake; the array of opportunities to get involved in student media.
    What made you choose U of I? As an Illinois resident, I applied there, but it was just too big for me. Really nice campus though. :)
    I'm from Illinois too (guess that's obvious)! I chose it based on cost; surprisingly, they were the cheapest option. Even UIC would have cost more. I would have rather gone to Fordham or Miami (FL), but I'd rather avoid the debt. I'm not sure whether or not I'll be going to grad school, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    I think that's the best way to go nowadays; the cheaper options, especially for a journalism degree. But I'm sure you'll still be happy! U of I is great!
2»
This discussion has been closed.