Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Fashion Journalism/Magazine Journalism?

daydreamerxxodaydreamerxxo Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
edited December 2012 in Journalism Major
I want to get into fashion journalism and work up to working for a magazine and/or reporting on fashion.

I know most schools don't offer fashion journalism as a major. I did apply to Lasell College in Massachusetts, that does actually offer this.

Does anyone know of any good schools with fashion journalism/magazine journalism, or just journalism and fashion design/other fashion studies? Or, even fashion and writing/creative writing could work.

Btw, I'm going to start in the spring. I'm stressing out about finding a school now!

Thank you :)
Post edited by daydreamerxxo on

Replies to: Fashion Journalism/Magazine Journalism?

• CE527MCE527M Registered User Posts: 4,989 Senior Member
    I really don`t know anything about Fashion Journalism, but you could probably good schools just by Googling it.
  • DanlincouDanlincou Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    BU has magazine journalism, I know because DD is looking into it.
  • daydreamerxxodaydreamerxxo Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Thank you for your responses :)
  • berries123berries123 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    Hey! A while ago someone posted another thread similar to this one, so I'm just going to repost what I wrote previously.
    Reiterating on what the others have said, you do not have to major in fashion or journalism to become a fashion writer. I'm interested in fashion journalism myself & I'm also a rising senior! My advice to you would be to gain as much knowledge about the industry as possible. Read blogs, read magazines, follow editors on twitter and/or tumblr. Try and write a lot, about fashion and about other things. If you want to you can start a blog, but I don't see it as necessary. I would recommend taking art history classes in college because it can help you gain a more critical eye when it comes to the fashion industry. Even though I want to work in the fashion industry, I want a liberal arts education because I think it's important to be a well-rounded and educated student. I also feel like it will help be become a better writer & critical thinker. Check out this Teen Vogue link (http://m.teenvogue.com/careers/job-a...college-majors), where different editors talk about what they're majors were & most of them didn't major in journalism. In college, I would say get involved in your college paper, or maybe your school will have a fashion magazine; get involved with that. And apply for internships!! If you go to college in NYC, try and get internships during the school year because competition for summer internships is tough & the more experience you have, the better. Some schools in NYC you could consider (depending on your stats) are Columbia, FIT, Parsons, Barnard, Pace, Eugene Lang, and Fordham. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.