right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
From community college to online programs. Join us for a LIVE webinar on Friday, April 17 at 3pm ET to evaluate your options post COVID-19. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

Major for Business/Journalism Career

jjohnrossjjohnross 201 replies59 threads Junior Member
edited February 2017 in Journalism Major
Hi,
So at my top choice college, where I was admitted and hope to attend (Fordham University) I was admitted to the Gabelli School of Business. My major as of right now is Business Administration with a concentration in Communication and Media Management. I also plan on minoring in journalism.

Would this be a good track to take to get into a journalism/media career? My ultimate goal would be to become a news correspondent, but I dont feel completely secure just majoring in journalism since its a very specific major in an extremely competitive field. I feel that having a business background gives me something to fall back on.

Basically what Im asking is, would this type of education give me the potential to become a news reporter, correspondent, or writer? Thanks!
edited February 2017
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Major for Business/Journalism Career

• DunboyneDunboyne 1155 replies4 threads Senior Member
    Which Primary Concentration are you doing? I'm seeing Communications and Media Management as a Secondary Concentration: https://www.fordham.edu/info/24491/undergraduate_business_majors_concentrations_and_minors

Communications and Media Management paired with a Journalism minor might be overkill, depending on how many courses the former entails. You can enter journalism with no media/journalism courses at all (internships are the key), so consider adding more "primary" courses and getting more subject matter expertise within business, like econ or finance or marketing.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 4134 replies74 threads Senior Member
    @jjohnross You can major in anything you want. The single most important preparation for a career in journalism is deep experience on a student newspaper or broadcast station.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity