Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

different type of frat question

2»

Replies to: different type of frat question

• flippinoutflippinout Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Sororities are not as big a part of Kenyon life as fraternities. There are only 4 of them, and a lot of people don't even know that much. They do host some good parties though. I am a freshman and I rushed this year, but I decided not to pledge anything. I have a bunch of friends in sororities, so I know there are, in reality, a lot of different types of people in each one. However, there are certain stereotypes...

EDM - some of the nicest people ever, very close, supportive group of friends, don't expect to see boys again if you join.
    Zeta - hos, straight up. Ok just kidding, they aren't all, but there's a certain reputation...
    Theta - newest sorority, not well known, but probably considered the hipster sorority
    NIA - supposedly for ethnic minorities, but half the members are white as far as I could tell. Take that as you will.
    Archons - co-ed, every possible kind of person

Anyway, I think they add something to the campus community and I'm glad we have them. Rushing is really a fun time to get to know different sororities, and now I am having a great time watching them pledge (it involves a lot of singing in Peirce and general serenading). Check them all out, and maybe one will be right for you.
  • thisisrealthisisreal Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    I also have a question about the Frat/ Sority scene at Kenyon. I consider myself a very intellectual person (being one, to use a few cliches, who loves "the life of the mind" and "education for the sake of education"), and I recently was accepted to Kenyon. My only concern is whether or not the presence (and, I would argue 27% is a large presence) of frats members is an indication of the type of students that go to Kenyon.

Admittedly, my conception of fraternities comes from those at big ten school (of which I am familiar with because of family members). Thus, I know that often times those who join Frats/ Sororities can be pretentious/ stuck-up, jocks, and those who see college as a means to an end and a time to party.

With my generalization said, how do Kenyon Frat people fit that description? Or is it a different frat scene (being different from big 10 schools)? Moreover, how does the presence of Frats/Sororites impact the overall academic orientation of Kenyon?

If it provides any frame of reference, I am also highly considering schools like Reed, Bard, Grinnell, Oberlin, and the University of Chicago. If you know anything about these schools, you probably note a certain theme regarding what I am interested in going to college for (that is, for those not familiar, with learning).

Thank you very much for your comments, and I apologize in advance if my ignorance upset anyone.
  • MolBioAce06MolBioAce06 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    You make it sound like going to a party would kill you... You will have no problem being a serious student at Kenyon. You are free to stay in the library until the closing bell rings and cloister yourself in your room for study sessions if you so desire.
  • thisisrealthisisreal Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    That is fine, but does that mean that I would be an exception? In other words, based on your comment, are you implying that those students who are intellectual types who dislike frat parties are a minority?

I only ask because I know of other schools where the frat-type is the minority, and not the rule.

Thanks.
  • MolBioAce06MolBioAce06 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    I think that on any campus you would have 50.1% of students going to a party or party type gathering (could be game night) at least once a week. That doesn't have to be a frat sponsored event. Yes, if you never go to a frat party in your four years you will be in the minority, but there will be many students that you can hang out with to have your own variety of fun.

Also, it is important to keep in mind that a large number of intellectual students are able to party or just enjoy some free time and still do well in college. I will also point out that I had a group of friends who would just chill in the dorm and debate current issues or argue about random academic topics during the evening...and they rarely went to frat parties. Basically, as I think has been said many times before, Kenyon is a mix of many types of students and pretty much anyone can fit in.
  • foolsgoldfoolsgold Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    27% really doesn't seem like that much to me. Maybe by comparison to some schools it is, but the frats don't dominate this place. They host the best parties, generally speaking, but many of the guys in frats study a ton, well some of them do, and it's certainly possible to never go to a frat party, though, as mol said, you would be in the minority. I suppose it's worth pointing out that there are different frats, different traditions, different types of people who stereotypically join each. So while the betas might have the sort of reputation u described, the DKEs are a pretty good group of people who both work hard and like to party.
2»
This discussion has been closed.