Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Decisions & Stats

Replies to: Decisions & Stats

• yepunsarangyepunsarang Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    yeah stillwaiting and everyone else waitlisted, you all sound fabulous. But from the letter I got from Kenyon, it seems like this year was particularly difficult to pick out. Also remember, that admissions (especially in the top tier schools in the nation) really choose you for who know what. This admissions game is hard to understand and IS very wacky. I'm sure you guys shouldn't get discouraged. All of you seem to be very talented.
  • sjones5sjones5 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Accepted!

ACT: 35
    GPA: 3.8 (unweighted)
    ECs: Journalism, filmmaking, writing

$16,000 merit but no need-based aid :(
  • johrjohr Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    Waitlisted

SATI: 2040 (740 V, 650 M, 650 W)
    SATII: 750 En 690 Math
    International, so no GPA/rank...probably weakest part of my app, though
    IB diploma program
    ECs: Hockey (not recruited), volunteering, journalism, photography, writing (my "hook", I guess, I've won a bunch of awards and I write for a local paper)

I liked my essays, although my Why Kenyon essay was a bit boring...I did demonstrate interest + visit afterwards, though.
  • elizismeelizisme Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Accepted

SAT I: 2240 (780 V 710 M 750 W)
    SAT IIs: Chinese w/ Listening (720), French w/ Listening (800), Literature (750), French (740)
    All 5s on APs: Latin: Vergil, Latin Literature, French, and English Lit.
    Awards: National Merit Finalist, 3rd place in NYC Vergil Latin Competition, Finalist in the New York Shakespeare Competition
    School doesn't do GPA or ranking.
    ECs: Lots of theater (leads in shows, and directing), classical piano for 12 years, chinese class outside of school, tutoring piano, president of several clubs,
    Did a summer with Columbia University in Beijing studying 3rd year college level Chinese; another summer studying Shakespeare at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
  • samiessamies Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    Accepted!
    SAT: 2200
    SATII: 720 World History 770 Lit 620 Bio
    ECs: Volunteering, president of environmental club, soccer etc.
    4's and 5's on Aps
    I also got a $16,000 scholarship
  • rusty333rusty333 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Accepted:
    SAT: 1910 (one try only, and considering I didn't know what SATs are 2 weeks before the exam I think I did pretty well :))
    SAT II: Physics:700
    Math: 710
    German: 790
    TOEFL: 115
    GPA: 4.0 (unweighted)
    5 A* on my IGCSE exams
    ECs: President of my class, vice-president of my school, writing poetry with stuff published, table tennis champion with my team for my age
    good essays, extremely good interview and showed lots of interest
    $45000 need-based scholarship
  • potuspotus Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Son accepted without financial award.

Stats:
    SAT Verbal 710
    SAT Math 640
    SAT Writing 760

GPA UW 3.35
    GAP W 3.95

Other:
    4 years of band, 2 years of school chorus, singer/songwriter/guitarist with a lot of performance experience. 2 years of participation in selective private traveling performance choir. Moderate community service. National Merit finalist. 3 years of lifeguarding.

From large Southeastern city. Made campus visit in Fall '07 and had what he perceived as very positive interviews.

Probably will not attend due to high cost and no financial award.
  • islandgirl1960islandgirl1960 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    D rejected, with similar stats to Potus' son. ECs: played soccer for 2 years, last two years managed varsity soccer. All four years: Director of Communications and Team member of Mock Trial, literary magazine staff member, student government 2 years, foreign exchange homestay in 10th grade (2 months during school year,) AP Photography, excellent interviews, excellent recs. NYC private school.
    Luckily, she has gotten into other equally good schools - but the rejection really hurt.
  • DomerDomer Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Son Accepted

SAT 730M, 690v, 640W w/12 on essay

National Merit Commended Scholar

Severe writing learning disability

ACT 33 w/ 36 Math and Science, 28 English

EC: Eagle Scout, Track, Frosh Basketball, Pres Computer Club and multiple award winner Model UN,

5k merit award
  • acmeacme Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    S rejected, with I hate to say it, better stats than Potus' son, but we are from suburban NYC so I'd wager that has something to do with it-- too much geographical competition? My S also didn't do an interview.

islandgirl where else did your daughter get in?
  • Pegasus07Pegasus07 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    [size=+1]Accepted[/size]

Stats:
    • SAT: 2060 (M: 600, CR: 720, W:740/8)
    • SAT II: Lit: 720, Math II: 530, Latin: 620
    • GPA: W ~3.8, UW ~3.6
    • Other:
    • Essays: Common App was very good. Supp essays were short and sweet but pretty solid.
    • Teacher Recs: Very good, I imagine
    • Counselor Rec: Very good, I imagine
    • Supplementary Material: none
    • Hook: Heavily Recruited for Soccer
    Personal
    • Ethnicity: Caucasian/White
    • Male
    Extracurriculars:
    -Varsity Soccer (3 yr)- Captain
    -Club Soccer (4 yr)- Co-captain
    -A Cappella Chorus (3 yr)
    -Varsity Ultimate Frisbee (4 yr)- Captain
    -Student Govt
    -Wind Ensemble (3 yr)-Low Brass Section Leader
    -Symphonic Band (3 yr)-Low Brass Section Leader
    -School Newspaper (4 yr)
    -Latin Tutoring
    -Part-time employment (20 hr/wk)
    Awards:
    -National Merit Commended Student
    -Member, National Society of HS Scholars
    -Magna Cum Laude, National Latin Exam 2006
    -Maxima Cum Laude, National Latin Exam 2007
    -Varsity Soccer: MVP Award
    -Varsity Soccer: "Cavalier Award" (Best displays Cavalier Spirit on and off the field)
  • kimfredkimfred Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    son accepted

2350 SAT
    34 ACT
    4.0 uw gpa
    1/225
    National Merit Scholar

Nice scholarship, but not enough, he's disappointed he won't be able to attend Kenyon.
  • KatieAppliesKatieApplies Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    kimfred (or anyone else): if you don't mind, could you post some more about financial aid issues? (I probably shouldn't be posting on your thread because I am a junior and won't apply until next year, but I am looking seriously at Kenyon and I will definitely need financial aid to attend.)

Thanks!
  • potuspotus Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Regarding the stats of my accepted son vs. the similar or better stats of islandgirl1960's daughter and acme's son:

I think my son was probably a borderline admit. I think his SAT scores are fine, and there would be plenty of prospects accepted with somewhat lower SAT scores. However, I think his high school grades are probably on the lower end of what's acceptable at Kenyon.

So, what pushed him into the accepted camp? My guess, in order of importance (1) accomplished musician, (2) excellent interview skills, (3) male, (4) southerner.

Son really is a fine singer and musician, and he made a point to meet and maintain contact with the professor that directs the chamber singers. We were led to believe that music is a big part of the fabric of campus life at Kenyon. Assuming that is true, they obviously need students who are not only talented but are also interested in being a part of the various ensembles. Son made it very clear that he was interested in this aspect of campus life, and I think it really helped him.

A small community like Kenyon needs students that want to take an active role in campus life. An applicant can really help him/herself by identifying an area of strength and making clear to a college that he/she wants to contribute to that aspect of campus life.
  • I-Love-WhippetsI-Love-Whippets Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Accepted :) :) :)

ACT: 32
    SAT I: 760CR/760W/640M
    SAT II: 730AmerHis/710Lit/720M
    aprox 3.9 UW GPA, top 10%
    awesome recomendations
    AP's English Language-5,American History-5, Calculus-4 (this year English Literature and Studio Art)
    NHS

4 years Varsity Soccer, Captain Sr. year (decent awards/recognition)
    Club Soccer all four years as well
    4 years theatre
    2 years for Trivia Team, MUN, started Debate Club
    Lots of Tutoring

no money
This discussion has been closed.