Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Decisions & Stats

Replies to: Decisions & Stats

• islandgirl1960islandgirl1960 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    Potus, I hope you don't think I was disparaging your son's stats or accomplishments. I firmly believe that a college makes up a class with as many interesting/diverse candidates as possible, and that will mean some otherwise deserving applicants are not accepted. I also believe Kenyon was just not meant to be for my D, and she bears the school no ill will. It was the only school that rejected her, and it was the first; that was hard, but she's over it.

Congratulations to all who got in; it was a tough year, and it is a great school.
  • potuspotus Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Islandgirl1960: you said nothing remotely disparaging about my son. He admitted, and I think he was probably a borderline candidate. It is a great school, and I wish they'd opened up their wallet enough to entice him to attend.

The only reason I posted a follow-up was to add a little context to the admission decision information. This board is a useful resource for those evaluating their chances next year.

The very best of luck to your daughter. I'm sure she's got some great offers and now some tough decisions to make.
  • Alex_cia_007Alex_cia_007 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member

My stats are as follows:

SAT1: 2110/2400 (CR: 620, M: 790, W: 700),

SAT2: Math L2: 760, Physics: 680, Math L1: 730

GPA: 3.92 out of 4.00 uw.
    -most rigorous course load at high school,
    -no ranks

Strenghts/hooks: greats recs, strong ECs, international, showed much (but obviously not enough) interest in Kenyon through my essays and correspondence....

Weaknesses: asking for need-based FA

Are there internationals waitlisted here and with what stats?

Do they award merit/need-based scholarships to those who get off the waitlist?
  • AlyssaKYAlyssaKY Registered User Posts: 2 New Member

SAT I: (1290 and 1920)
    600 Math
    690 Critical Reading
    630 Writing

ACT: 30
    Valedictorian (1/227)
    Location - Eastern KY
    Double Minority (Biracial & Appalachian)
    GPA: 4.0 (unweighted) 4.8 (weighted)

Athletics: Basketball 9-10; Varsity Softball 9-11

Extracurriculars: Big time into Beauty Pageants, Beta 9-12 (Secretary), Key Club (Pres-Elect, but moved schools), Assorted Clubs, vocals & guitar, 400+ hrs volunteering

Visited 3 times, Interview

Go to a Math and Science Academy just opened in KY (basically boarding school) for my senior year...University parasitology research, full college load this year, From grades 9-11: 3 APs - 4 US History, 3 Euro History, and 4 Biology.

--Wait-listed at UVA, Triple Ivy League Rejection (Harvard, Yale, Cornell), and still waiting on William and Mary!

• SandtownOhioSandtownOhio Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hey There--

I am an early decision candidate that was accepted to Kenyon in February. The reason I came back was that I was curious about the fates of regular decision applicants. Also, I wanted to share this article that was just published in the Cleveland Plain Dealer written by Jennifer Delahunty, the Dean of Admission at Kenyon.

Awaiting a letter from admissions - cleveland.com

It might be insightful for anyone still wondering about how Kenyon picks its students.
  • thegirl08thegirl08 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Applied EDII.

SAT I: (1240 and 1900)
    610 Math
    630 Critical Reading
    660 Writing

Valedictorian 1/85 - (weighted)
    Location - North Texas
    Minority (Mexican-American), First-Generation
    GPA: 3.6/4.0 (unweighted)

No athletics, four years of debate and co-captain senior year with numerous awards over the past four years.

Extracurriculars listed: Debate, School Admissions Recruiter for the past 4 years (interview, tour guide, etc), Destination Imagination Team Member (4 years), French Club Historian (2 years).

Activities listed that lasted less than a year: Latino Cultural Center volunteer, Mini-Internship at Microsoft, and Close-Up Treasurer/Secretary.

I Interviewed with my admissions counselor and visited afterwards.

I attend a career-orientated magnet school in Dallas, and I've taken one of the toughest course loads. 15 AP classes to date and I'm graduating with far too many credits than required. I've also taken a few community college classes to date but nothing too spectacular - computer science, intro to law, and gym with A's in each. I was also really careful about selecting my recommendations letters and they were all spectacular and really said something about my character, from what I was told. I also made sure that my essays showed a devout interest to the school and a special twist to the essay prompt.
  • MolBioAce06MolBioAce06 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    Welcome to the Kenyon family! I like the "devout" interest, keep it up ;)
  • MolBioAce06MolBioAce06 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    That article highlights what I have been saying for a long time, you have to visit campus and you have to make yourself known to the adcom to make sure you get in, unless you are a solid Ivy level candidate.
    Has anyone waitlisted at Kenyon heard anything from admissions about his/her application status?
    ...and "a painful silence bloomed"...
  • burnitblueburnitblue Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    wow, you are a kenyon stalker.
  • SS1955SS1955 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    he is hardly a "stalker"--if you get on a waitlist at a place you really want to go, you will know how it feels to be waiting to hear
  • whereto?whereto? Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Alex_cia_2007 - We called last week. Admissions said 100 people on waitlist now and they didn't know if they were going to use it or not.
  • burnitblueburnitblue Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    I mean stalker in the nicest way possible.
  • mvogelmvogel Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    International student. SAT:1940 (600W;700CR;640M)
    SAT2: Bio M and Math2 both 670
    Valedictorian and Student body President
    Tons of ECs
    Fantastic recs
This discussion has been closed.