Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What does it take to get in to the top law schools?

originpranksoriginpranks Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
edited September 2011 in Law School
Coming out of Duke with a GPA around 3.95, how high does the LSAT score has to be to get into the very top (say, top 5) law schools?
I've heard that GPA+LSAT matters the most and ECs are much less important, but is this still the case with schools like Harvard?
Post edited by originpranks on

Replies to: What does it take to get in to the top law schools?

• IvyPBearIvyPBear Registered User Posts: 917 Member
    LSAT matters a lot more than your undergraduate GPA.
  • EMM1EMM1 Registered User Posts: 2,583 Senior Member
    Simply not true. You need both a very high grade point average and a very high LSAT to get into Harvard. Similarly, the other t-14 schools admit based on a combination of grade point average and LSAT.
  • originpranksoriginpranks Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    I'm just curious about top 3,4 schools. I have a decent idea about where one has to be to get into the other T-14 schools from seeing other ppl. I'm not too sure about the schools at the very top (HYS, may be Columbia) because there aren't that many ppl (although I saw somewhere that Duke was one of the top 3,4 schools represented at HLS a few years back).
  • hopefulgraduate1hopefulgraduate1 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    According to some, if you get about 175 on the LSATs (with your 3.9 GPA), you should fare well in admissions for Harvard. There's a website that will calculate your chances based on GPA/LSAT score
  • floridadad55floridadad55 Registered User Posts: 2,262 Senior Member
    If you are capable of getting into a top law school, I would recommend that you seriously consider NOT going to law school, and taking another route.

There is a vast over-supply of lawyers. Most lawyers, even those who went to the top schools, may get a big job at a big firm, but they will work 80 hours a week, and will eventually be terminated, and then they will wind up at some crummy 15 man firm.

This advice is not only based on my own experience, but also on the experiences of a myriad of friends and co-workers.

I know you will pooh pooh this advice, but consider yourself warned. I am not the only one on CC who has posted similar messages/warnings.
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Registered User Posts: 5,674 Senior Member
    It's this one: www.lawschoolpredictor.com (I think/hope it's all right to post the link.)
This discussion has been closed.