right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Private Minnesota law school worth full scholarship?

PublicIntLaw14PublicIntLaw14 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited January 2014 in Law School
I plan on pursuing public interest law, and while my top law school choices were in NY and CA (more nonprofit/public interest orgs there I've been told), I just received a full scholarship/research fellowship/stipend to Hamline University in MN.

As of today, I've been accepted to CUNY School of Law (apparently they're a big public interest law school?), but no word of scholarship. Still relatively less expensive than many schools for in-state resident (15,000 yearly) Have 5 more schools to hear back from.

Should Hamline be the frontrunner at this point? Thoughts?
edited January 2014
4 replies
Post edited by PublicIntLaw14 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Private Minnesota law school worth full scholarship?

• Demosthenes49Demosthenes49 1622 replies4 threads Senior Member
    Hamline puts a whopping 3.2 percent of its class into public interest. CUNY places nearly 20% of its class into public interest. Hamline's Loan Repayment Assistance Program ("LRAP") is only good if you stay in Minnesota. CUNY's LRAP barely exists at all. The total cost of attendance at Hamline is $47,000. The total cost of attendance at CUNY is $33,360 In-State and $41,800 for Out-of-State students this year. Next year it will go up.

In short, neither should be your frontrunner but if you absolutely have to pick I'd go with CUNY. A much better strategy would probably be retaking the LSAT.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 28255 replies213 threads Senior Member
    A much better strategy would probably be retaking the LSAT.

Or go to b-school. Seriously. If your numbers are that bad, you should not go to LS.

Even LS for free doesn't mean much if you can't get a job in the area in which you want to live. (Hamline places 70% of it jobs into Minn. However, only ~40% of its grads get a job -- any job -- requiring a legal education.)
    · Reply · Share
  • crankyoldmancrankyoldman 700 replies59 threads Member
    Law school is an enormous investment of time and money; you owe it to yourself to do the research. For example, both schools you mention are ranked well past 100 on the USNWR list-that's a public list, so fair or not, that's how the schools are viewed.
    And very very few law graduates get to pick their jobs coming out of school-they are happy to get any job. So you go to law school and can't get a job in public interest law-what do you do then? And suppose you consider Hamline-what are the details of the scholarship? What GPA is required to keep it? Can you afford to attend-or do you want to attend-if you end up paying? And as Demo has already done, go to the schools' websites-they are supposed to have listed the employment stats for the recent graduating classes-check those out, and (HINT) the "JD Advantage" jobs and the rest don't count-look only at job percentages for "JD Required" jobs. And I'd recommend visiting some of the scamblogs; you may agree or disagree, but it's good to hear dissenting voices when making such a huge decision. You've got a lot of work to do before picking a school.
    · Reply · Share
  • CatriaCatria 11199 replies150 threads Senior Member
    Numbers please, as well as the schools you are still waiting on...
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity