right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Will a bad freshman year kill my chances at Harvard?

miyalimiyali 0 replies2 threads New Member
edited January 2014 in Law School
Hello! I'd really appreciate some advice in my situation. I had a really rough transition to college- huge academic struggles compounded by two months of illness- and my grades show it. Despite a shaky freshman/half of sophomore year. I eventually graduated (from an Ivy) with a 3.7, honors, and a double major and I'm currently abroad on a Fulbright. I'm studying for the LSAT right now and have been scoring consistently above 175. I know my GPA is below the median for Harvard, and going to law school there has always been my dream- in light of everything else I've made happen in the last few years, will my GPA keep me from getting into HLS? Do schools care at all if you made a significant improvement in your grades from freshman year up? If anyone has dealt with a similar situation, I'd love any advice. Thanks so much!
edited January 2014
1 replies
Post edited by miyali on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will a bad freshman year kill my chances at Harvard?

• CityEntrepreneurCityEntrepreneur 138 replies13 threads Junior Member
    You'll be fine. I can't say that you'll definitely get in or definitely not get into H, but you'll be in a good position at a lot of top-tier schools. Since your LSAT score is so high (higher than mine was), I think that it would more than make up for any grade issues.

And yes, if your grades went up significantly, then I think that a school would care. Mine did, from a 3.4 from my first semester freshman year, until they reached the Harvard average (where I went).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity