right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

What chem degree should I do for patent law?

myscreenname568myscreenname568 16 replies13 threads New Member
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death, but this is bugging me. I know I definitely want to major in chemistry. I like it, I'm good at it, and I find it really interesting. I know it's not as marketable (or as easy to "fall back on" should I not go to law school) as majors like comp sci, physics, and engineering, but that's a trade I'll make. My question is, how hard is it to be a patent lawyer in chemistry with only a BS? The limited research I've done says that a PhD is almost necessary if you want to get hired in bio/chem. Is this the case? If so, then I think I'll major in something else since 12 years of school sounds like way too much. I know patent law is a pretty niche field and there's a huge demand, but does this not apply if I just have a BS in chem? Would a master's be a good compromise for this weakness? It seems much more doable than a PhD and 2 more years doesn't sound that bad.
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What chem degree should I do for patent law?

• dadofsamdadofsam 1584 replies50 threads Senior Member
    If you had read the many posts on this question, you would know that a BS in chemistry is not sufficient to get an entry level position as a patent attorney. That is because your competition will have more advanced degrees.
    In fact, nowadays, unfortunately a BS degree in chemistry will usually only get you a job as a technician, not even a research chemist.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity