Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Retaining In-State Tuition After Bachelor's?

dmillerscdmillersc Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I have lived in CA for eleven years (middle school - college) and have recently graduated from the University of Southern California. Having worked in CA for a year after graduation, I will be moving to my parents new home in Washington while I study for the LSAT and apply to law schools. I will have thus lived in WA for a little over a year by the time I enter law school in Fall 2018.

Since I no longer have a permanent residence in CA, is there a way to still qualify for in-state tuition at CA public universities?

Replies to: Retaining In-State Tuition After Bachelor's?

  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,566 Senior Member
    Probably not. The question isn't how long you lived there in the past, but do you live there and have you lived there the year before you apply and start law school. If you want to go to law school in Cal, live in Cal.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 24,428 Senior Member
    the good news is that you can regain California residency for tuition purposes after one year.

    note, however, that the instate tuition break is only ~$6k at UCLA or about $4k at Boalt.
Sign In or Register to comment.