Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Whats are the best national awards for HLS admission?

Hank CHank C Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
HI guys, Does anyone know what is the best national awards for HLS admission? what national awards that impress the admission committees the most, and how can I join it?

Replies to: Whats are the best national awards for HLS admission?

• bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,540 Senior Member
    HLS is 95% two numbers: GPA+LSAT. Then, like all professional schools, HLS prefers a year or two of work experience.

National awards not necessary for H. (EC's matter for Y & S, due to their small classes.)

• Hank CHank C Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    edited May 12
    Thank you for that information. BTW, is there any Non-prof or Charities impress HLS the most? I will take a gap after I receive my bachelor degree. And I want to use the gap to join those groups for one or two years. My anticipation and gimmick are helping the development of youth preventing them from domestic violence and bullying from societies, school, and communities and giving all juniors equilibrium education opportunities. Any suggestions?
    my suggestion is don't do something as a gimmick. Do it bcos you generally care. In such cases, it will become part of you.

Again, EC's don't much matter. H is just not gonna are if you teach for TFA, join the military, tutor the underprivileged, work to reduce bullying, work to prevent domestic violence, or get a job working retail at Walmart. (you'd be surprised what you can learn about others while working retail.)

As long as you do something important to you (while studying for the LSAT).
    Touché. thx again for such piercing ideas.
  • Wje9164beWje9164be Registered User Posts: 1,285 Senior Member
    Hank, my daughter is currently wait-listed at HLS. It is first, foremost, and almost 100% about the numbers. Focus your energy on getting a 173 or higher LSAT and getting your GPA up as high as possible. Spending energy pursuing "national awards" if you haven't first achieved a competitive LSAT/GPA is a waste of time
    Thank you there. I am still a sophomore at Berkeley. My "numbers" are unpredictable right now; However, I think that I could already start on doing some extra-curricular work now to enhance my profile. Congratulations to you and your daughter, even been wait-listed is kind of an honor. It presented the hard work and power your daughter has gained. HLS is my dream school, so Jealous. By the way, my potential GPA is like 3.8 for my bachelor's degree in English. What score I must have on my LSAT to be possibly admitted by HLS so far?
  • boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 2,539 Senior Member
    HLS doesn't like GPAs below 3.85, especially for students applying directly from undergrad. Work to get your GPA up as high as possible, preferably >3.9. Have a look at lawschoolnumbers.com.
  • sorghumsorghum Registered User Posts: 3,565 Senior Member
    OP, you are not a native English speaker, right?
    No, I am not. I am an ESL student, also an F-1 international student. Why are you asking this? Is that means I am screwed?
    Jesus, a 3.9 is literally impossible for me now. Am I dead to them?
  • sorghumsorghum Registered User Posts: 3,565 Senior Member
    I just mean it makes 3.8 or 3.9 in an English major at UCB a little harder. Are you generally a top 1% test taker, such as for SAT? I think working for a 175 LSAT is tough, but more controllable than hunting for a national award.
    No, I am not. I am not smart enough to be Top 1% all the time. T-T Why the world is taking so serious on your undergraduate GPA. I screwed a math class and a business class once. I mean can't we just let it go? My only wound is my GPA. I will totally slay LSAT. I mean, I will have two or three years to prepare for it. 175 on LSAT? absolutely!!.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,100 Super Moderator
    It doesn't matter if YOU don't place value on your GPA. It's what the admissions people think that matters.
    Why the world is taking so serious on your undergraduate GPA.

One word: rankings. (Hint: the main two drivers for USNews is GPA & LSAT. That is why almost nothing else matters.)
  • cbreezecbreeze Registered User Posts: 4,752 Senior Member
    @Wje9164be, our good friend's son was waitlisted by HLS and got off the waitlist after he contacted them to say he was still interested if he had a chance to get off the waitlist. Finally, they admitted him and he had to give up some merit aid at Columbia, find someone to take over his apt lease (he had started one week of classes at Columbia already) and left for Boston.
    Fast forward several years later, he now works at a big law firm in NYC and surrounded by Columbia grads as his colleagues. HLS isn't worth giving up merit aid.