right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

UCLA Undergrad looking into Law School

EKSEKS 79 replies38 threads Junior Member
edited April 2008 in Law School
What type of Undergrad extra currics/jobs look good for law school?

Jobs: What's better, I Banking or internships at Law Firms? I heard it's really difficult at UCLA to get I Banking because they don't recruit at UCLA. Is this true?

Extra-curriculars: A law co-ed fraternity? Clubs? What kind? Start your own organization?

What have current law students (at top 14 schools) done to get in besides high GPA/LSATS?

(Sorry if this has been asked before.)
edited April 2008
4 replies
Post edited by EKS on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UCLA Undergrad looking into Law School

• bluedevilmikebluedevilmike 11870 replies94 threads Senior Member
    Extracurriculars don't usually play a major role unless they're either really deficient (e.g. nothing) or really spectacular (e.g. opening up a human rights clinic in Darfur).
    · Reply · Share
  • icy9ff8icy9ff8 - 1587 replies18 threads Senior Member
    ECs can be very important when applying to law schools--especially the Top 14. A great source of info. is The Ivey Guide To Law School Admissions by the former dean of admissions at the Univ. of Chicago Law School. Most law school applicants fall into the mid-range for each school (that, of course, is what constitutes the mid-range) and the primary method of distinguishing among law school applicants falling into a similiar numbers range is by evaluation of the other application materials such as essays, ECs, recommendations, etc. Internships at law firms, unless involving substantial, meaningful work, are not likely to sway an admissions decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • Milton RoarkMilton Roark 394 replies3 threads Member
    Get an internship in I-Banking (if you can) over the law firm work. It's better to weigh your alternatives.
    · Reply · Share
  • BerkeleySeniorBerkeleySenior 392 replies7 threads Member
    Extracurriculars don't usually play a major role unless they're either really deficient (e.g. nothing) or really spectacular (e.g. opening up a human rights clinic in Darfur).

TITCR

ECs don't really matter, as long as you have something.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity