Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Aspie college hunt

jokerking1017jokerking1017 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hi there. I am new to this website. I am looking around for colleges with good Autism/Asperger Syndrome program. I already have WKU, Marshall and Rutgers on my list. I prefer if there are actual programs and not being sent on a wild goose chase (I am in the middle of a few W.G.C.s now). I also would prefer programs in schools that I most likely heard of that are big especially if they are in the NCAA (i.e. WKU, Marshall and Rutgers).

Thanks.
Post edited by jokerking1017 on

Replies to: Aspie college hunt

• jokerking1017jokerking1017 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    weather. I am interested in a school that I would probably hear of from college sports.
  • adamomadamom Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Some other colleges with specific support programs are University of Alabama, University of Connecticut, Fairleigh Dickinson, Adelphi and Mercyhurst.
    'Bama, UConn don't have my major. FDU was not totally convincing.
  • expatCanuckexpatCanuck Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    FDU was not totally convincing.
    Over a month ago, I sent email inquiries to 3 folks at FDU asking about their alleged COMPASS program, and didn't receive the courtesy of a single reply. IMHO, you're right to steer clear.

As it happens, I also received no reply from Adelphi.

Both are off my list.

[In contrast, I've always received timely & informative polite replies from every small LAC I've contacted -- even if they couldn't offer the desired supports.]
    Adelphi isn't one I am considering since it is small and online. I prefer one with a good reputation and is involved big in College sports.
  • Slurpee64Slurpee64 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Check out University of Arizona's SALT program. There is also a list of Asperger Friendly colleges in the book College Finder, and the list is also available online. Check out the schools that offer the federally-funded TRiO program, too. Referenced in the thread I started several weeks ago.
    I don't think AU'S SALT program is really an Asperger's program.
  • higgins2013higgins2013 Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    I'll offer an alternate approach: google the US Dept of Education TRIO student support program to obtain the current list of colleges and universities that participate. It's a wide range of schools, large and small, public and private, elite and CC-accessible. TRIO is a great program, focussed on mentoring and monitoring three types of students: LD (including AS), 1st generation, and low-income. Purpose is to retain, maintain, and sustain these students, both academically and emotionally, through frequent contact, tutoring, special programs, etc.

We toured Midwest LACs listed in the CTCL book, that participated in TRIO program. These schools understand nuances of AS kids, without charging them for extra services or stigmatizing them w/AS Program label.

So find the 2013 TRIO list, the Meteorology Major list (Rugg's book, likely in your library reference section - great book), and NCAA list, cross-reference and see what pops out.
  • scansmomscansmom Registered User Posts: 1,553 Senior Member
    Higgins, a lesser known LAC in Minn that has a TRIO program and provides good supports for students with autism and LDs is Augsburg College in Minneapolis, adjacent to U of MN, Twin Cities, it is probably the school most often suggested by MN HS GCs for students with LDs. Very small, less than 2000 undergrads but also part of a 5-college consortium including Macalaster.
  • madelynemadelyne Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    If your parents are willing to shell out the money for it, you might look into a school nearby a College Internship Program. It's a 24/7 support system designed specifically for Aspies.

http://www.cipworldwide.org/
  • bananasplitbananasplit Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Or alternatively to CIP, try College Living Experience. It's very similar to College Internship Program, I went to CLEfor one year. There's a general success rate not shared by me (only because of some unrelated issues I was having at the time). But most people have a great time there and the overwhelming majority are Aspies.

http://experiencecle.com/
This discussion has been closed.