Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Diagnosis: disclose or not?

CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
I am hoping to get input on whether or not to disclose a diagnosis to the high school. Possible benefits, possible negatives and how this should be treated (if at all) when applying to college.

Replies to: Diagnosis: disclose or not?

• happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,478 Senior Member
    edited December 3
    --If you want accommodations in HS it must be disclosed.

--It should not impact college admissions as HS can only disclose a diagnosis with your permission (at least in our state). Some people chose to disclose it, others don't.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,006 Senior Member
    It was positive in all ways for my kid. She got the accommodations she needed. In turn that helped with standardized testing accommodations, and accommodations in college. Your HS is not supposed to disclose to colleges unless you allow them to.
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    @happy1 we are not looking for accommodations. There are really no accommodations for this anyway.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 18,478 Senior Member
    Then it is your choice. I don't think there is a downside, but it is more of a matter of if your child wants to keep it private or not.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,006 Senior Member
    edited December 3
    A positive would be that if your kid has grade issues, the GC might be willing to put a note in about something in their college recommendation when needed. But if it does affect your kid academically, then I'd consider following up on the accommodations if there is something that could help. Since you are posting in the learning disability forum, there are many types of accommodations that can be helpful.

Edited: I went back and read your past posts, and remembered that your kid presented very much like my D. She did get extra time and a quiet place for on tests, extra scratch paper during exams, some extra support from teachers on organization, specific classroom seating that helped her, and the ability to use a laptop for notes all the time. It helped her -- her grades went up pretty much a full letter grade in most subjects once she got the accommodations, and it also helped her in college. She is in grad school now.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 590 Member
    If you are not planning to request accommodations in high school and you are not diagnosed with a life threatening condition then I would not disclose. Further, do not disclose as part of college admission.