Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Dealing with adderall side effects?

Replies to: Dealing with adderall side effects?

• mkm56mkm56 Registered User Posts: 3,062 Senior Member
    fourkidsmom, I would vote with you on the "something added". As EK stated the stimulants for ADD don't remain in the body for long, thus the push for drug companies to develop the longer acting options like adderall XR. Also the stimulant effect should (if taken recently) should somewhat counter the depressant effect of alcohol, as above poster said, it might make one drink more because they didn't feel alcohol effect and thus "get sick" from the alcohol toxicity. What you described sounds very much like what a friend of daughter's experienced when she was given a date rape drug (not sure of name). She said she felt very sick, nauseous, wanted to lie down, felt like she was "coming down" with something. She had only had Diet Coke to drink (to her knowledge) so she knew it was not from alcohol. She went to her room to lie down, left door unlocked for roommate who didn't have her key, and awoke to a guy trying to rape her. Luckily she was not "out" enough and was able to scream for help and was in a situation where there were people in rooms close by. You are right to tell your d. never to take an open drink from anyone and don't leave any drink unattended at a party situation.
  • xxRasputinxxxxxRasputinxxx Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi, is there a such thing as a sleep doctor?

I did a little experiment with myself. I forwent the adderall for a whole month. The result was sufferable, aggravation, and dejection. A good thing was that i was able to sleep.

I do not know why i am such a loser, it's so horrible, i could not soak in anything the teacher was lecturing about. Everything went through one ear and out the other. I don't have the motivative spark i had when under the effects of adderall.

There are 3 reasons why i do not want to take adderall: 1) EXTREME difficulty in trying to get asleep, 2) racing thoughts which interfere with m ability to sleep, 3) unethical
    Is it unethical? i mean, if God made me that way, then maybe i was supposed to work through the adversity and emerge triumphant! But, i forsee no triumph in my future. Haha!

I am trying to rationalize, in favor of adderall, my situation. I was doing some philosophizing, so if this sounds wacky, forgive me.
    Okay, there is this movie i saw called, "Pursuit of Happyness" starring Will Smith. The kid, will smith's son, tells his father a story about a man stranded in empty waters. The man in this story is asking God for help. Eventually, a boat comes and asks if he needs rescuing. The in-need-of-help man declines the offer and tells him that "God will save him." So, he is left unaccompanied and stranded. Another boat comes (or maybe it was someother life-saving mode of rescue) and offers help. Again, he is told by the drowning man that he does not need help and that "God will save him." So, the boat leaves and leaves the man stranded again. The story ends with the drowning man dying. He's up in heaven and ask God "why did you not save me when i asked for help." God replies something to the effect of, "I sent you many boats, you should have hopped on one and sailed back to shore." As you can see, the man was foolish for not accepting the rescue helpers.

I believe the moral of the story is this (to me): that God will not reveal himself in bodily form and it requires blind faith to believe in him. I believe that God provides us with the means to overcome deficits and if we do not take advantage of them, that is our faulth. Maybe the adderall is God's remedy for my problem. Maybe it is not unethical.

I know, i'm crazy.
    ^^^Your post sounds so much like an ADD student. My child also wants to (IMO) over-analyze every situation. Bottom line--I agree with you--the help is there (and it does come with a price--I can't imagine anyone wanting to take it if they didn't need it) and you should avail yourself of it. If you had high blood pressure, would you refuse medication? What about diabetes--just forget the insulin and allow yourself to slip into a coma? I know those are extreme examples and ADD is not going to kill you like the diseases I mentioned---but it is a documented medical condition and when the right Rx for you is found, treatment/help is available.

Go with your moral and don't feel guilt.
    Yes, i understand you, but i just feel like i am one of the many people who take advantage of Adderall, even though i know i show the symptoms of ADD.

I recentely went to a psychiatrist, and he told me, get this, that i do not have ADD and that i have a very mild case of bi-polar disorder. He said that the symptoms of bi-polar and ADD are very similar and that it is easy for a psychologist to make an inaccurate diagnosis. I read driven to distration and that book was me.

Anyway, my questions, if you would be kind enough to answer this, are: 1)Is there a such thing as a sleep doctor? I want my sleep and adderall to coexist peacefully. 2) Do you think it would be wise for me to take the extended release version of Adderall? It's hard enough for me to sleep as it, do you think it would just worsen what my problem? 3) Do i just schedule an appointment to go see a doctor and ask him for a referrall for ADD testing? I want to make sure that i have it.
    1. There are Dr.s that specialize in sleep disorders--I know in our town, it is a neurology group that does this and runs a sleep lab.

2. My son tried the extended release and, for him, it made the sleep problem worse. He has stayed on the short-acting as he has better control of when it will wear off. He often takes short breaks from it--light class days, weekends when he doesn't have too much studying, etc.

3. If you have never had testing, I would rec. it. We had son tested at a center that specializes in learning disability testing--was staffed with psychologists who had specialized in educational testing and treatment of learning disorders.

So the psychiatrist who told you that you do not have ADD did not do any testing? He just made this determination from conversation with you? The testing son had done covered the scales for ADD (he filled out plus parents filled out), he also had IQ tests and a whole battery of other tests. His results showed ADHD, auditory processing disorder, plus some other more borderline diagnoses. We/he then took the test results to a psychiatrist to determine if and what medication should be used.

Hope this helps. Son was not tested until he was in college. Are you in college or high school? It would have been so much easier to get all this straightened out while he was still at home.
    Hmmm, that is weird. I thought that with any type of medicine, it is advised that a person should take it daily to have your system get used to it and eventually get rid of all the side effects. Does your son still have trouble sleeping?

"So the psychiatrist who told you that you do not have ADD did not do any testing? He just made this determination from conversation with you? The testing son had done covered the scales for ADD (he filled out plus parents filled out), he also had IQ tests and a whole battery of other tests. His results showed ADHD, auditory processing disorder, plus some other more borderline diagnoses. We/he then took the test results to a psychiatrist to determine if and what medication should be used."

The pscyhiatrist told me me to tell him the what i am experiencing. I said that whenever i read books, my mind would not stay focused on what i was reading. I would always have to go back to what i just previously read to try and retain it, but it always fails. I also made the mistake of telling him that i have racing thoughts, but that was only when i was on the Adderall, and i don't really have racing thoughts. Just an active mind (but someone might see them as the same thing). When i am off the meds, i don't have an active mind, just a lazy one. I also told him that one moment i'm ambitious and ready to take on the world, then maybe the next day or the next week, i'm less motivated, significantly less. I do want to be a success, but i find it hard with my inconsistent mood pattern to stay focused.

"Hope this helps. Son was not tested until he was in college. Are you in college or high school? It would have been so much easier to get all this straightened out while he was still at home."

I am in college and i am home. Thank you for replying.
    The way Dr. explained it to my son was that Adderall was very short acting. It is not a medication that needs to "build" in your system (unlike some of the other ones). He just takes it when he needs it in order to focus. For instance, tedious lectures, long reading assignments, writing papers, exams. He finds that he can "catch up" on his sleep if he doesn't take much on the weekends.

He is doing better with the sleep. The thing that has helped the most is absolutely no caffeine of any sort and the main thing is daily exercise. He tries to work-out every day for at least an hour--says that has helped more than anything.

He had a lot of trouble with weight loss that first few months. Now he monitors what he eats--with his work-outs and medication, he has found he needs about 4,000 calories a day to maintain. He makes himself eat whether he is hungry or not--uses power bars and between meal protein shakes to bump up his caloric intake.

Good luck working things out. I know how frustrated son was until he finally got the working diagnosis and adjusted himself (as much as possible) to medication.
  • fourkidsmomfourkidsmom Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    Yes, there are sleep docs- they are usually neurologists- try your favorite university hospital. My nephew had been taking ADD drugs and told his dad at 16 that he thought he was bi-polar instead of depressed and ADD. They changed meds and he has been much better since. talk to someone!!!
    4,000 calories. Damn! I am overweight and i think it was because of the Adderall. Haha. 4,000 calories is a lot. He must be tall, i think the taller you are the more weight calories you have to eat. When did he start taking the medicine, at the beginning of college?
    Yes, he started on Adderall in Oct. of first semester freshman year. He ended up losing 30lbs that first year. It took him the summer to gain back up (was off med all summer). He also is 6'3" and now with the eating and weight lifting weighs about 215. He does work out pretty heavily--does a 2mile run and then an hour of weights most days.
    Does he work out while on Adderall? It seems like it might cause heart complications.
  • MissPearlsMissPearls Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I am also a college student and am currently taking Adderall. Recently, under physcological testing, I was given the diagnosis of Bi-polor just as you were. Durring the evaluation process I took an ADD/ADHD test and discovered I was ADHD. This was one of the defining factors for my doctor to diagnose me with Bi-Polar disorder. She said they are commenly linked and ADHD/ADD is one of the trigger components that distringuish Bi-polar disorder from depression. You should find yourself a different Dr. it sounds like, because without proper treatment it can contribute towards more intense manic/euphoria highs and the depresional lows. The mood stableizer, for me, can only do so much in controlling my drastic mood swings. I take Adderall to study and do well in school, but more so for the upholding of my health. I hope you will read this and take it into consideration.
  • LynxieLynxie Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    mkm: Did your daughter's friend press charges?
  • ab_medab_med Registered User Posts: 465 Member
    Hey, i had a quick question.

I have a feeling i have ADD after researching on the topic for a while. i am a first-year college student. i was wondering what process do you have to go through to get diagnosed with ADD?

Thanks guys
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, there is no quick answer. My quickest answer would be to say that MANY people have a feeling they may have ADD after researching on the topic for awhile.
This discussion has been closed.