Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Real Scoop on Loyola

Replies to: Real Scoop on Loyola

• nafurahanafuraha Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @loystudent

thanks for all the info bro
    the ID i have now doesn't scan....how often do the bars scan id's? what happens if it doesn't scan, like do the call the police?
  • JRZMomJRZMom Registered User Posts: 812 Member
    From Maryland's Motor Vehicle Administration : "It’s illegal to misrepresent your age or to help someone else do so for any reason, including to illegally buy or possess alcoholic beverages. Using someone else’s driver’s license, ID card or a fake ID will cost you:

* Maryland laws allow fines of up to $2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 years.
    * The MVA can cancel, suspend or revoke your driver’s license.
    * If under 18, the Maryland Juvenile Services Administration may require you to attend a supervised work or alcohol rehabilitation program.
    * Maryland Juvenile Services Administration may also ask your parents or guardians to withdraw their consent for you to hold a license.
    * Federal penalties can include a fine of up to $25,000 or imprisonment for up to 15 years."

And here is the Federal code on the topic:

United States Code: Title 18,1028. Fraud and related activity in connection with identification documents, authentication features, and information | LII / Legal Information Institute

Since 9/11 the Feds are very interested on people who make or use fake IDs.
  • alfmomalfmom Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    jrzmom - thanks for the reminder. i hope everyone took a long hard look.
  • loystudentloystudent Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @nafuraha

I've never seen a bar scan an id around here because those bars would most likely be avoided. With that said, if the bouncer at the "loyola" bars thinks your id is fake they will just straight up say this is fake and hand it back to you or say nah man not tonight. Occasionally if the bouncer is either a jerk or in a bad mood they might take it and make you pay 20 bucks to get it back but thats rare. Kids have gotten caught using fakes at the baseball stadium and other more legit bars and have gotten citations but most of the cops around here have more important matters to attend to. It would be unlikely that you would get fined $2000 and I've never heard anyone having to go to jail. Be smart, no your surroundings and you should be fine. Stay at the bars other loyola kids are going to. If you get your id taken and they won't give it back don't be a hero, cut your losses and don't have them call the cops on you.
  • collegeguzcollegeguz Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    Loyola does have diversity. I am a first year student who is hispanic at loyola and understand why loyola has some trouble with diversity. It cost a lot to attend loyola and the fact is that most minorities at loyola need finical aid. Also most of the diversity comes from commuters that go to Loyola. The truth is that next semester I will be probably be commuting which would mean I would only be on campus for the classes. I lived at loyola for one semester in Butler (the worst place to live at loyola apparently), but personally liked it. Yes the building had a bad reputation, but it was the most diverse building by what I saw. I had never been influenced and went the whole semester being around people who drank, but never drank myself. No matter where you go people will always drink, fact of college.
  • SueDonemSueDonem Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yankeesgirl: Not sure if you still post on this site, but I'm curious if you were able to transfer from Loyola and if so to where? My daughter is a frehman at Loyola and I wish I'd found this thread last year. She really loves most things about the school, except for the fact that it's such a bar school requiring fake IDs in order to have a social life. What's frustrating is that we didn't pick up on this on any of our 3 visits prior to enrollment. Shame on us I guess for not asking the right questions, but the school certainly didn't make a point of discussing how strict their alcohol policy is relative to most schools. If they had, and knowing that kids will always find ways to drink, I would have put two and two together. Anyway, I hope things worked out for you and that you are happily enrolled at a school that better suits you.
    SueDonem, my D is a freshman at Lyl too & she is not drinking either. She has had some rough spots with her suitemates, several of whom apparently are enjoying their new found freedom a little too much.

She says they recently had a suite meeting to discuss "kicking-out time" & quiet hours. She does her homework elsewhere on campus, I think mostly in the Humanities bldg. She has been having trouble getting enough sleep due to the racket in the rest of the suite.

We knew it is a "bar school" but we also know there is plenty of drinking on just about every other campus in the country. We told her, you are going to see & hear a lot of the consequences of this behavior and there are events you will not want to be at. But you can find plenty of things to do in Baltimore and most other cities that do not involve alcohol, look at what their own populations are doing. Fairs, galleries, sports events, museums, etc.

Would our Ds be upset with us if we "introduced" them? You can pm me.
  • funfatdaddyfunfatdaddy Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    My DS is a sophomore at Loyola at loves it. He ran into the same situations as a freshman. He now rooms with his fellow nondrinkers from his suite and from across the hall. I would suggest your D look into the Options program for nondrinkers sponsored by Loyola. Tonight they are hosting a bowling event with pizzas and sodas, all for $5. Also joining a club would be a great help. There are a lot of great things to do in and around Baltimore which do not involve drinking. Your D’s roommate does not need to be a close friend. They just need to be respectful and get along. Your D can develop her best friends outside her roommates. Also, many change roommates their sophomore year as my DS did. Kids will create pressure to go out on nights your D wants to stay in and get work done. My advice to my DS was to let the kids know you have another commitment and LEAVE THE ROOM. Your D can always go the library, study lounge above the Writing Center, or any number of places on campus. DS says drinking is more prevalent at a lot of his hometown friends’ campuses. Father Linane had pointed out during our DS’s freshman orientation that 35% of the freshmen surveyed experienced at least one black out event while in high school. Unfortunately, drinking is a big problem in high school and college. I appreciated Loyola’s honesty about the situation during the parents’ orientation session. My DD is in high school and Loyola is high on her future college list. I would not hesitate to send her to Loyola.
    funfat---I am not at all disappointed my D is at Loyola! In most other respects it seems exactly the right place for her, and she is often saying she loves this or that experience or person she has met or whatever.

She has checked out a couple of clubs and I am sure she will get involved in some of them. She seems to have a lot of homework, which she prefers to get done earlier in the day or evening before she gets too tired. She is more of a morning lark I think.

I too appreciated the honesty Loyola showed-- they are not kicking it under the carpet. What mystifies me is where do h.s. & college kids get the money to buy all this booze? Bars are not cheap. Beer & liquor are not cheap either even if not being consumed in a bar. If it is coming from the parents' pockets, are they aware the kids are drinking to this extent on that allowance?

My D has been doing exactly that, taking her studying elsewhere & coming home late. But she wants to go to sleep sometimes when the noise level is still high. I think they are getting to the point where the burden of the schoolwork is settling in & are going to wind up making "quiet hour" rules though.
  • car1954car1954 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    SueDonem,
    You can follow Yankeesgirl by clicking on her name and looking at other posts by her. It looks like she really doesn't quite know what she wants... Not that it's a bad thing, these kids are only 19 years old, after all. My son is a sophomore and after visiting friends at larger schools where drinking on campus is the norm, he's very glad that he doesn't have to deal with all that craziness. He is not a non-drinker, so I don't really know what he and his friends do on week-ends... Just like at
    any college, you have to trust them and hope they are safe!
  • collegestatmomcollegestatmom Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    My s graduated from Loyola a fews ago. Loyola offered him an excellent education, terrific study aboard opportunity in New Zealand, a job at the fitness center for four years. The Jesuit teachings has made him a responsible, caring, hard-working person. The college offers wonderful workshops to get the students prepared for internships, job interviews, a great alumni base, etc. He had great internships in Baltimore and had two job offers with two of the big 4 when he graduated.

Kids do go the the bars whereas in other schools they go to frat and sorority parties. Students who choose not to party can live in substance-free housing (i think that is what is called), there are numerous club activities and much to do in the Inner Harbor. Additionally, there are job and volunteer opportunities on campus.

Not everyone that goes to Loyola are rich, some like our son, knows it was tough for us to send him there, he studied hard, worked hard, had some fun. His closest friends are the friends he made at Loyola. They get together several times a year.

In the end, I cannot say enough wonderful things about Loyola. He is reaping the benefits of his Loyola education and continues to give back to his school and the community.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    Google searching for threads of schools our K2 is looking at now...

Looking for updated info

Is the school continuing to have heavy drinking issues?

What about scholar-athletes? How do they fair, as our K2 is interested in the school for the major and the EC.
  • GCmom415GCmom415 Registered User Posts: 720 Member
    Waiting for award letter. Has anyone EA gotten one? Wondering how the financial aid is there..
  • KKsoccer11KKsoccer11 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I wouldn't say the school has drinking issues in fact the complete opposite. Drinking is very limited on campus, thus the reason kids go off campus. Which seems to be the trend at most colleges. Loyola just does a better job of enforcing underage drinking laws then some. It isn't a dry campus, just trying to abide by the law. They actually host parties, tailgates where alcohol is served to seniors who are 21 years old.
    My DD is currently a sophomore didn't get much FA, we are anxiously awaiting the a FA package for next DD an incoming freshmen.
  • sportstoosportstoo Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Fogfog - our son is a scholar-athlete at Loyola. The school provides excellent support for their athletes - tutors are available in all subjects. During the school week, he basically goes to class, studies, does homework, team practices and workouts and goes to the FAC (Fitness & Aquatic Center) for pick-up basketball games, racquetball, etc and hangs out with friends. There is plenty to keep him busy on campus without drinking. Weekends are basically the bar scene if he doesn't have a game. We hear that the bars are really fun - great time! If he has a game that weekend, he'll catch a movie, go to the FAC, there's always something to do that doesn't involve drinking. With all that being said - keep in mind that being a D-1 athlete at any school is hard. Time management is crucial. Support from your professors and the school in terms of study-hours and tutoring can really make the difference. In addition, the coaches track the GPAs of their athletes and will have a discussion with the student if academics aren't going as well as expected. I truly feel that Loyola is the perfect fit for our son. He is having a great experience, lots of fun and making life-long friends. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.