right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Double Major For EECS (Science + Engineering)?

s2003084s2003084 12 replies26 threads Junior Member
I love engineering and I am going to major in EECS, but I'd also love exploring more about the universe and nature and I saw this potential where engineering supports scientific research.

So I asked people around me whether it'll be a good idea to double major in STS and EECS, yet they told me it's always better to double major in Math and EECS.

Advices please!
edited May 2012
3 replies
Post edited by s2003084 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Double Major For EECS (Science + Engineering)?

• k4r3n2k4r3n2 929 replies8 threads Member
    You've posted like 8 of these threads all asking the same question. My advice is to chill out, take classes that you think sound interesting, and figure out what you're really interested in learning.
    · Reply · Share
  • iceui2iceui2 841 replies46 threads Member
    Take the classes you want to take. It's not that hard to get a major so you'll definitely have time to explore some fun classes.

With that said, Math + CS is a good combo. You can always minor/concentrate in STS.
    · Reply · Share
  • CalAlumCalAlum 1345 replies22 threads Senior Member
    Plus, it's not like things are set in concrete at MIT. My daughter planned to double major in physics and computer science. She formally declared a physics major, but took EECS courses, starting freshman year. At the end of her junior year, she sat down in a meeting with the EECS advisor and learned she could easily finish up her senior year with a second major in computer science. However, in the end she opted to take more advanced courses in physics. I guess she wanted to know more about string theory......go figure!

I think at one point she worried that not having the EECS degree on the transcript might hurt her, should she decide to pursue a career in technology rather than attend grad school in physics. But she had some good advice from an executive with a high-tech company, who told her that the physics degree with the computer science coursework and hands-on experience would be more than enough.
    :-)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity