right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

"You are on this list because you are admitted to MIT! (/^▽^)/" at the end of an email

jzzzzzjzzzzz 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
At the end of an email titled "Reminder: Financial Aid Documents Due February 15th!" that I just received from MIT, it says this in fine print:
> Copyright (C) 2014 MIT Admissions All rights reserved.
> You are on this list because you are admitted to MIT! (/^▽^)/

This is a joke, right? I assume everyone got it?
29 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: "You are on this list because you are admitted to MIT! (/^▽^)/" at the end of an email

• actman21actman21 42 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    I got it to. But I'm not sure what it means. We could always hope right!! Go to the bottom of the email and click why did I get this? And it takes you to a page titled EY 14 Admits so idk. Pm me if u find out anything
    · Reply · Share
  • jshore1296jshore1296 7 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Also have this, but I was deferred early, and it also says "RA Applicants" in the header so. Yeah.
    · Reply · Share
  • actman21actman21 42 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Well yeah, but it seems prety cruel. I mean I know it's MITs style to joke around but it seems kinda cruel to say that and get our hopes up. I think we should still confirm
    · Reply · Share
    Anyone apply rd and get the email without the "You are on the list..." Or anyone apply rd and not get the email?
    · Reply · Share
  • ddeisadzddeisadz 20 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28 New Member
    I received the same email. I wish this was true. Perhaps it is true.
    · Reply · Share
  • Euge9522Euge9522 12 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15 New Member
    i received it too, it's probably a joke i think
    · Reply · Share
  • Moominmama58Moominmama58 53 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    It's on the emails of EA accepted students too - my son just got it. Maybe that copyright line got included by mistake?
    · Reply · Share
  • awcntdbawcntdb 3553 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,553 Senior Member
    Probably as simple as the "accepted student" FA reminder form letter went to everyone by error.
    · Reply · Share
  • rainoutrainout 5 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    So can we put this to rest? Did anyone out there NOT receive this email?
    · Reply · Share
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit 12245 replies129 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,374 Senior Member
    Decisions for RD applicants have not been made yet -- no RD applicant has been selected or denied.

I don't think it's a joke, because I don't believe the admissions office would joke about something so fraught. I'm sure it was a (really unfortunate) mistake.
    · Reply · Share
  • jshore1296jshore1296 7 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hey, mistakes happen, and the fact that you're accepting responsibility and responding like you are says a lot to me. No hard feelings here.
    · Reply · Share
  • AmaranthineDAmaranthineD 816 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2014
    I'll forgive you if you accept me! :D
    edited February 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • MITChrisMITChris 1745 replies46 discussionsCollege Rep Posts: 1,791 Senior Member
  • jabbawockiejabbawockie 6 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Shouldn't the emoticon at the end of the email be (/^口口)/ instead of (/^▽^)/ ? My emoticon is different from what you posted.
    · Reply · Share
  • MITChrisMITChris 1745 replies46 discussionsCollege Rep Posts: 1,791 Senior Member
    @Jabba - (/^▽^)/ is in the sent folder and in copies I've gotten from other students. It's probably just some slight mistranslation between different computer settings.
    · Reply · Share
  • WasatchWriterWasatchWriter 2432 replies96 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    When I first saw the thread, I thought, "That's a mistyped regular expression," and assumed it was an inside joke for computer geeks.
    · Reply · Share
  • coureurcoureur 11196 replies190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,386 Senior Member
  • lidushalidusha 1253 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,273 Senior Member
    Oh God why. The comments are so harsh. :(
    · Reply · Share
    They are. However, the comments from actual applicants, here and on the blogs, are a good deal less so, and quite frankly I care far more about them.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity