Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Top 20 Comp Sci Schools (not including the Ivies)

JerseyshorJerseyshor Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
Folks, I have poured thru the threads trying to compile a list of the top 20 comp sci schools outside the typical MIT, Caltech, Harvard, etc. Can anyone point me to a list on this or another part of CC? or maybe list out the top 20. Geographical location is not imp, nor is fin aid at this point.
Thanks for your hek.

Replies to: Top 20 Comp Sci Schools (not including the Ivies)

• 4thfloor4thfloor Registered User Posts: 849 Member
    edited April 2016
    Every top CS list typically starts with Stanford and MIT (neither of which are Ivies).

http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectCS2015.html
  • idkNameidkName Registered User Posts: 300 Member
    ivies aren't even good in CS lol. In US news, there are really only 2-3 ivies that is even top 19 CS schools (Cornell, Princeton, and maybe Columbia?).

CMU has a very good CS program without the rep of Stanford and MIT. Then there is UIUC, Georgia Tech, UT Austin.
  • JerseyshorJerseyshor Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Thanks for your replies. What does UIUC stand for? Which others would you recommend other than CMU, Stanford and MIT which are all very difficult to get in to? I am looking for the ones that people tend to overlook because everyone is taken up by the MIT's and CMU's.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,707 Senior Member
    Lots of schools have perfectly good CS majors. An example of a frequently overlooked one is Rutgers.
  • JerseyshorJerseyshor Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Thanks for all your replies. Has anyone come across a thread dedicated to computer science at different schools with students providing their experiences?
  • FuroniFuroni Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    In order
    1. MIT and Stanford (tie)
    2. Carnegie Mellon, University of Washington (the cs program specifically), Berkeley
    3. UIUC, UMich, Georgia Tech, UT Austin

This is for UNDERGRAD based on likeliness to get a job and overall quality of the CS department

Normal rankings are for research or reputation (cs research doesn't really matter much for undergrad, compared to almost any other major)
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,293 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    It's now 2016. There is no question that CS majors will get jobs. That is no longer the criteria like it was during the Great Recession. The CS economy is doing extremely well. Companies are paying a lot and are fighting for recruits.

The question is where you will develop the most capabilities among the stiffest competition. CS research is very valuable for this.

I agree with Furoni's list - those are standard rankings- but I would never pay OOS tuition for a California state school.

Some other schools to consider in no particular order
    Harvey Mudd
    Cornell
    Johns Hopkins
    USC
    Waterloo (Ontario)
    Washington University St Louis
    Rice
    UChicago
    Purdue
    Wisconsin
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,707 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    But be aware that, except at the wealthiest of the private schools, CS can be a difficult to get into major at schools where it has a strong reputation. In cases where one applies to the major when applying to the school, the CS major may be substantially more selective than the school overall, and some applicants get rejected, or get admitted as undeclared or some other major. At these schools, it may be difficult to change into the CS major after enrolling.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19262574/#Comment_19262574
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,975 Senior Member
    Not being an Ivy does not mean "easy to get into", either. A lot of these schools are tough admissions. @Furoni, where did you get that list? Hard to believe Mudd is not on it, unless it is using overall numbers vs percentages.
  • ijustwannasleepijustwannasleep Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited April 2016
    How would Utah compare to the schools listed above in the previous other posts?

Edit: I meant University of Utah
  • UWfromCAUWfromCA Registered User Posts: 1,251 Senior Member
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 3,156 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Undergraduate CS rankings are useless. Unless there's a particular specialty track at a school, there isn't much to distinguish most CS programs, and the quality of education at #10 isn't likely to be any better than it is at #50. In fact, a lot of people will probably do better at #50 or #100.

CS is one of those things you learn on your own while hacking away in front of your computer. I've heard and seen lots of CS lectures at different schools, and they're all pretty much the same.

• ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,293 Senior Member
    ^^^ Sorry but just so wrong.

Lectures are all the same, but amount and degree of difficulty of problems and exams increase as expectations increase.

Some schools are application heavy and will prepare you for your first job. Some schools have so much theory that you will be prepared to deal with paradigms that don't even exist yet. Some schools have robust research programs in the hottest areas.

If all you want to do is program, sure learn it on your own, go to directional state university, rock and roll all night and party every day. If you want a 40+ year career spent on the cutting edge, better set your sights a bit higher.

That said, there are a lot of great schools in CS. Look at the curriculum.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 3,156 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    The places I've worked, the programmers from top universities and directional state universities all do the same tasks and sit in the same style of office or cubicle, or sit right next to each other on an open floor.

The point being that going to a top-ranked university doesn't mean you're going to do better than someone from a directional state university in the job market. Last place I worked the department was run by a guy from San Jose State, and we had people from Stanford, Harvard, Cal, USC, UCLA, various CSUs, and foreign universities you've never heard of sitting side by side doing the programming grunt work.
This discussion has been closed.