right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

TI-83+ for AP Calculus AB?

G0DZILLAG0DZILLA 208 replies22 threads Junior Member
Hi,

I'm taking AP Calculus AB next year and wanted to know if a TI-83+ is sufficient for the class.

I'm sure it is possible to get past the course and exam with a TI-83+ but time will be something I won't have. Would it be worth getting a TI-89 for AP Calc and college? And are there any upgrade programs so that I don't have to spend another $150?
edited April 2011
4 replies
Post edited by G0DZILLA on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: TI-83+ for AP Calculus AB?

• abbygirl130abbygirl130 34 replies1 threads New Member
    I'm in BC this year and i've been fine with TI-83+. there are many parts of the exam where you won't be able to use your calculator, and I honestly remember using it for maybe 5 sections of what's on both AB and BC
    · Reply · Share
  • G0DZILLAG0DZILLA 208 replies22 threads Junior Member
    Do you think you could've saved time on the calculator sections if you had used a TI-89? If so, how much time do you think you could've saved?

also, do you know if college math courses are calculator intensive?

i'm happy to stick to my ti-83+, i just don't want to be at a huge disadvantage because I'm using an older calculator.
    · Reply · Share
  • SeekingUniSeekingUni 2059 replies129 threads Senior Member
    I use an 83 and have made it just fine throughout the year and the 2003 AP exam that we took in class last week.

Granted, I wish I had the 89 because it seems simpler and can do more... but it wasn't necessary, and I couldn't afford to buy a whole new calculator.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheMathProfTheMathProf 810 replies0 threads Member
    If you've been using a TI-83/84 calculator all this time, you'd be better off spending time reviewing more calculus than spending that time learning the TI-89. The interface is significantly different, and you don't want to spend time on the exam figuring out how the syntax of certain commands is different.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity