Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How bad is a 4 for colleges?

yokomotoyokomoto Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I just got back my results for Calc AB, and I got a 4. I'd like to major in computer science, and I'd like to get into colleges like UC Berkeley. Do you think that I'm screwed, or is there still a chance?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum. I was contemplating putting it in "What are my chances", but it seemed more appropriate here.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by yokomoto on

Replies to: How bad is a 4 for colleges?

• aldfig0aldfig0 Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    I got 2 2s and a SAT score under 1900 and I still got accepted into Berkeley...
  • iluvpianoiluvpiano Registered User Posts: 2,033 Senior Member
    A 4 is good. 3 is passing, so 4 should be just fine, and AP scores aren't the biggest thing in admissions. Colleges may consider them, but I know people who have gotten into great colleges even with not-so-good AP scores. Are you taking BC next year? If you got a 5 on that, then AB probably won't make a difference.
  • ollegerolleger Registered User Posts: 1,567 Senior Member
    you'd be safer off not applying. flat out rejection with a 4. Sorry :/
  • Godot17Godot17 Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    ^^TROLL0L0L0L

Seriously, a 3 and above in any AP exam is technically decent. It might be a little more impressive if you intended to be a liberal arts major, but one thing's for sure is you can't tip the admission scales to rejection with AP scores.
  • SableWarriorSableWarrior Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    What up with these people crying over a 4? A 4 is very good, considering a 3 = passing! :P Now if you had got a 1... well that means you just wrote your name on the paper... xD
  • rainbowroserainbowrose Registered User Posts: 1,804 Senior Member
    I got a 4 on 2 exams and 5's on the other 3 and still got into WUSTL.
  • zabdullahzabdullah Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    I didn't know the scores on the AP test mattered to college admissions.
  • yokomotoyokomoto Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Great, thanks for the responses everyone.
  • pastaloverpastalover Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    I got a 4 on calc ab and got into UCLA
  • LemonCatLemonCat Registered User Posts: 536 Member
    Out of the 3 AP tests I took when I applied to Berkeley, I got a 3, 4, and 5. And I still got accepted :) I'm going there this Fall, and I can totally say that AP scores are *not* the big picture. There are stills essays, overall GPA (weighted and unweighted), clubs, extra curriculars, jobs, etc.
    Good luck!
  • SableWarriorSableWarrior Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    ^ Stop **** him... A 4 is the same credit as a 5 at most schools.
  • TheFatAnorexicTheFatAnorexic User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 263 Junior Member
    start applying for mcdonalds now
This discussion has been closed.