Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Computer Science A or AP Computer Science Principles?

CS1211CS1211 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
I am trying to decide between taking AP CSA and AP CS Principles next year (I only have room for one). Since the principles course is new, I couldn't find much information on it on this site and others. I was wondering which of these courses is more challenging and would be more worthwhile to take. Also, does it benefit your resume in any way if you take both classes? If I take the more challenging of the two, whichever it may be, would it be possible for me to self-study the other?

Replies to: AP Computer Science A or AP Computer Science Principles?

• MITer94MITer94 Registered User Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    @CS1211 I didn't take APCS A, but my best guess (judging by the AP course description here) is that APCS Principles is simply an overview of computer science topics but doesn't get very deep, whereas APCS A is mostly Java programming and gets a little deeper. For example, APCS Principles mentions decidability theory and analyzing the run time of certain algorithms but doesn't even get into big-O notation.
  • CS1211CS1211 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.