Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Good at computer science but 4 on AP Comp Sci exam?

kinddestinykinddestiny Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
Hey so I just took my AP Comp Sci exam on Tuesday and I am fairly certain that I didn't get a 5.

Do you think that will negatively impact me if my intended major is computer science? I had gotten straight 100's in my computer science class and most of my extra curriculars revolve around programming. I have won competitions for programming websites and apps, etc. My AP computer science teacher also thinks very highly of me.

I think I just let my ego get the best of me so I didn't study for the test and I totally had a brain fart on the FRQ section of the exam.

I'm just not sure if colleges will give me the side eye or question my computer science abilities simply because I didn't get a 5 on the AP exam.

Replies to: Good at computer science but 4 on AP Comp Sci exam?

• carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 6,580 Senior Member
    I don't believe that you have anything to worry about. Many future CS majors don't even take AP CS.
  • kinddestinykinddestiny Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    @carolinamom2boys hm, i guess you are right. :( i am trying to get into some of the very competitive schools though so i'm not sure if they will factor in my 4. i just took too many APs this year and focused on doing well on those instead of worrying about computer science. I'm fairly certain i got 5's in all the other APs and it's just computer science that I messed up on
  • jkhugginsjkhuggins Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    As a college professor ... I'm not worried about a 4 on the APCS exam. I think you're well-qualified to move on for further study in computer science with that score.
  • XCjunior2016XCjunior2016 Registered User Posts: 564 Member
    I got a 3 as a CS major and got into vanderbilt ED & NEU EA with a scholarship. I had taken the test sophomore year but had done more CS stuff since then.
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    I don't think it's a big deal either.
  • PengsPhilsPengsPhils Forum Champion Northeastern, Forum Champion Math/Computer Science Posts: 3,667 Forum Champion
    If I had to bet, I would say the AP CS exam has an immeasurably small correlation with CS ability. As long as you didn't get a 1-2, no college will care in the slightest. They barely care about AP exam scores as is.

Not a single college CS major ever mentions the class - college CS is a whole nother ballgame.
This discussion has been closed.