right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

What are necessary/must have classes in a B.S/B.A mathematics degree program to make it credible?

SamebeefSamebeef 1 replies1 threads New Member
Apart from your school being regionally accredited and non-profit, I've noticed that many universities offer some differences in their core classes, so I'm curious for you guys, what are classes that are absolutely necessary and need to be included in a B.S/B.A mathematics degree in order for the degree to be reputable/credible for you?

5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are necessary/must have classes in a B.S/B.A mathematics degree program to make it credible?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 7902 replies84 threads Senior Member
    Reputable / credible to whom, and for what? For general purposes, the relative credibility of the college is the first metric.

Specific fields will have some courses that they value over others- cs v pure math v applied math etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83472 replies741 threads Senior Member
    Depends on what post-graduation goals you are looking at:

* PhD study: pure math course work in real and complex analysis, abstract and linear algebra, logic and set theory, geometry and topology, numerical analysis, etc..
    * High school teaching: course work that helps prepare for teacher credentialing in your area.
    * Finance: statistics, economics, finance.
    * Actuarial: statistics, economics, finance; see https://beanactuary.com/ for more.
    * Computing: computer science, number theory, statistics, linear algebra, optimization
    * Data science: statistics, areas of application
    * Operations research: optimization, linear programming, etc..
    · Reply · Share
  • SamebeefSamebeef 1 replies1 threads New Member
    edited May 15
    Samebeef wrote: »
    Apart from your school being regionally accredited and non-profit, I've noticed that many universities offer some differences in their core classes, so I'm curious for you guys, what are classes that are absolutely necessary and need to be included in a B.S/B.A mathematics degree in order for the degree to be reputable/credible for you?
    thankyou my issue has been solved
    edited May 15
    Post edited by Erin's Dad on
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 10389 replies9 threads Senior Member
    Isn't it nice when someone can get their problem solved so easily?

Good luck to the OP....
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2600 replies14 threads Senior Member
    ucbalumnus wrote: »
    Depends on what post-graduation goals you are looking at:

* PhD study: pure math course work in real and complex analysis, abstract and linear algebra, logic and set theory, geometry and topology, numerical analysis, etc..
    * High school teaching: course work that helps prepare for teacher credentialing in your area.
    * Finance: statistics, economics, finance.
    * Actuarial: statistics, economics, finance; see https://beanactuary.com/ for more.
    * Computing: computer science, number theory, statistics, linear algebra, optimization
    * Data science: statistics, areas of application
    * Operations research: optimization, linear programming, etc..

I would add Algorithms to CS
    · Reply · Share