right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

What Computer Science Class Should I Take?

Theseus42Theseus42 1 replies1 threads New Member
I am a rising junior(Class of 2022) and would like to learn computer science/programming and would like to start as soon as possible. However, a computer science class doesn't fit into my schedule for the next school year. If I were to take a computer science class the earliest would be the fall of my senior year(Intro to C++) which may be to late to start learning, especially if I am considering majoring in CS. Therefore, I would like to use online school providers, namely FLVS. However, they offer two sets of programming classes : Foundations of Programming which uses Python and AP CSA which uses Java. I would prefer to learn Python if given the choice. Normally, I would take the more rigorous AP class but all my target state colleges only give either no-course equivalent 3 credit hours or some sort of computer literacy credit, which is mostly useless as I plan on getting an A.A degree at the same time as my high school diploma so the credit would be useless since I would tranfer the maximum amount of allowed credit (at least in Florida). I worry that FLVS will not be rigorous enough in the Honors course but I've reserached that AP CSA is very in-depth, but very time-consuming. I could also self-study programming/CS but I would rather have some tangible credit and curriculum. What should I do to learn Computer Science?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What Computer Science Class Should I Take?

• RichInPittRichInPitt 2492 replies42 threads Senior Member
    edited July 28
    I would recommend the Python class. Diving right into AP CSA might be a bit much. Many/most schools that. Know of have an intro programming course as a pre-requisite for CSA.
    edited July 28
    · Reply · Share
  • squ1rrelsqu1rrel 453 replies37 threads Member
    I actually took both courses on FLVS.

I'll be honest, the Python class was a waste of time. It was pretty trivial, but if you have never done CS before it may be a good start. A lot of the work is just busywork and can get annoying.

APCSA wasn't as easy as I had expected. I don't recommend taking that immediately. If you really are looking for a course, then start with the Python one, but imo the best way is just to self-study without a course.
    · Reply · Share
  • udonlordudonlord 58 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Take that Python class. APCSA is ROUGH if you have no coding experience (at least at my school)
    · Reply · Share
  • Theseus42Theseus42 1 replies1 threads New Member
    I suppose it is smart to take the Python class first. Is it even worth taking AP CSA at all then, if the credit may not be useful and I already know the basics of Python?
    · Reply · Share
  • hunter2hunter2 15 replies0 threads Junior Member
    IMO AP CS A isn't super in depth compared especially if you're interested in CS (as you indicated). It might be a better idea to take AP CS A just because it's an AP class, is more recognised by colleges and could potentially earn you college credits.
    · Reply · Share